time heals

Three weeks later:

She understood why she did what she did. Not having a parental figure all the time, made her think anyone and everyone could abandon her. She had tried her hardest with her grades, to appease her father in hopes that would make him never want to leave. She needed to be the best daughter she could be. The reason why her relationship with Sehun had turned toxic, on her part, was because she tried to appease him. To avoid him leaving, which he did, and it had nothing to do with her.

She was sitting, playing with Haetnim. Her father never asked why she suddenly had a dog. Taehyung had called her father to ask if it had been alright that he gifted her a dog. She couldn't help but think how sweet and different he was from when she first met him. She wasn't sure how it was possible for her to fall more and more in love with him. But her father had said they needed to talk and for three weeks, he had tried to breech the subject.

"Sooyoung, I would like to apologize."

"Why?"

"I may not have been completely honest about your mother's and I's relationship."

"What do you mean? I read the letters."

"Those letters, I never saw them until we were married."

"Weren't you, childhood sweethearts? Those letters were sent when mom was in university."

"We were, but mainly on her side."

She waited, seeing how her father sighed. She could see him blaming himself. She watched as he sat next to her, taking her hand with a sad smile. How much did he blame himself for? Did he blame himself for not being there for her mother when she was sick? She felt sad. He did so much for her. She should have appreciated him more before.

"After we graduated and we went to different universities, I broke up with her. I didn't want to be attached to anyone in case someone better came. I was young and not ready to be in a steady relationship. It had hurt her; a lot and I never knew. Sooyoung, no relationship is easy. No relationship is like the movies. You can't guarantee happiness to someone or that you won't hurt them. That's impossible."

"I think I know that now." She looked to her father. "You aren't to blame. Things happened that led up to this wall in where I needed this set comfort in knowing I could be given what I wanted. I wanted protection and love. I didn't want heartache. I..."

"Pushed Taehyung away because you thought he couldn't give you that?" she nodded. "I saw he cared for you. Maybe at that time, he couldn't give you what you wanted and tell you, but I could see he was willing to. I don't like what Jimin or what Sehun did. They made you, not trust. Sooyoung, sometimes falling in love is giving yourself to that person, not knowing the outcome. Taehyung, he loves you. Probably more than I could think anyone could love a person. I think he loves you for you. All your flaws. Somehow, you made him fall in love with you."

She smiled, recalling one of their first encounters. "I threw up in front of him." He looked at her sternly as she tittered. "I drank too much. Like how I met Jungkook."