Chapter 29

(Readers POV)

I was looking at the map. It looked like the next village isn't far from here. Jaune was looking over my shoulder.

Jaune: Hey! I know this place!

(Y/N): You do?

Jaune: Yeah! Me and my family used to camp near here all the time. I got my own tent because I was special.

Nora: Really?

Jaune: It was because my sisters wouldn't stop braiding my hair.

Ruby: Didn't like the look?

Jaune: No. All they did was pig tails. I'm more of a warrior wolf tail kind of guy.

Summer: I'm pretty sure that is just a ponytail.

Jaune: I stand by what I said.

I looked up from my map. It says we should be getting close. When I looked up I saw the village, but it was in shambles and I started to run over to see what happened. Everyone followed behind me. I entered the village to see nothing but destruction. Smoke was coming from multiple buildings and there was died body's left and right. I ran up to see one soldier barely alive.

(Y/N): What happened here?

Soldier: Bandits, a whole tribe of them. With all the panic in the town....

(Y/N): Grimm.

Ruby: We have to help him.

Jaune: We can carry him to the previous village.

Ren: And get him treated.

(Y/N): Guys.

I said as I pointed at the soldier, he already died from blood loss.

Nora: Should we make a grave for him?

(Y/N): We have to go. It's too dangerous here.

I started to leave the village and everyone else followed. I was able to find a different route and we started to take that one. The walk was silent, really different from how loud the walk would be because no one was talking. I was walking and I felt a tug on my shirt. I turned around to see Ruby with a sad look on her face.

Ruby: All Might, can I ask something?

(Y/N): Sure, what is it?

Ruby: Do you every have the feeling of never being able to save someone?

I sighed and looked up to the sky.

(Y/N): Yes, all the time. There could be someone screaming for my help but I would never know. Those soldiers at the village were probably screaming my name before they died. It's a sad truth. But that's why it's important to protect the ones we can.

Everyone seemed to agree with me but Ruby had a hard time taking my answer. I known what I said was dark but it's the truth and Ruby needs to grow. We made to an opening and this looks like a good spot to set up camp.

(Time skip)

I started a campfire. I made sure we had everything ready. I remembered something that I promised to Ruby.

(Y/N): Hey Summer. Can you take watch will me and Ruby do something?

Summer: Sure, just be careful.

I gave her a thumbs up and I took Ruby with me.

Ruby: What are we doing?

(Y/N): I do remember promised something when the Vytal Festival was over.

She looked confused but then remembered what I meant and she had an excited look on her face.

Ruby: You're going to train my silver eyes!

(Y/N): Exactly.

We reached an open spot and I thought this was the perfect spot. I sat down on the grass and Ruby joined me.

(Y/N): So, what do you remember me telling you about the silver eyes?

Ruby: Well, I have to think about people I care about and the need to protect them. They also only work when Grimm are nearby.

(Y/N): Good. Tonight we will be focusing on the feeling you need to use them.

Ruby: Ok but I all ways want to protect my friends.

(Y/N): It's more then that. You simply just don't want to protect them, it's about wanting to keep those closest to you safe.

Ruby: The closest safe?

(Y/N): Yeah, Summer told me that she always think about you when she uses her silver eyes. So, who is the closest person to you that you wish to keep safe from everything?

Ruby: I'll be honest, it's you.

(Y/N): You wish to keep the number one huntsman safe?

Ruby: Yeah. Ever since I meet you, I always felt this connection with you. When I saw you in your real form, it made me realize that the symbol of peace is just as in danger as everyone else and I don't want to see you go down like many other huntsmen.

I chuckled and patted Ruby's head.

(Y/N): Now I'm curious about this connection.

Ruby: Well, I can't explain it. It feels like I've known you for so long.

This connection, is she saying she has this connection because of One For All or is it because I'm her father? I got up from the ground and sighed.

(Y/N): It looks like we found the person you want to protect. Next time, we will be trying it on actual Grimm.

Ruby nodded and got up and we started to walk back to the camp. When we made it there, all of our sleeping bags were out.

Summer: You two are back. What did you two do?

(Y/N): Nothing much. Just looked around to see if there was any Grimm near the area.

Summer: Well ok, it's getting late. We should go to bed.

Me and Ruby agreed with her and we went to our sleeping bags. I laid down and started to go to sleep.

(Y/N):"I don't know if I should tell Ruby that she has One For All. All the times she used it, her body didn't break. That could be because she is only using a small percentage of it. I'll tell her when the time comes."

After making up my mind, I started to fall asleep. Then I remembered something that soldier said. Something about a tribe of bandits, I hope he didn't mean the Branwen tribe.

(Chapter 29 end)