Fall 1991

Janet had just finished recording a new song for her new album that's still untitled. She was walking past a studio and saw the most beautiful woman, she stood for a few minutes and just observed. After a while Janet decided to keep walking, the beautiful woman in her thoughts. She would ask Jimmy and Terry about her tomorrow. She walked to the elevator and got on still in her thoughts until a small delicate hand stopped the elevator doors almost too late. Janet looked up and it was the woman she had been admiring.

"Hi," Janet spoke softly and smiled.
"Hi, Janet. I'm Toni...Toni Braxton."
"Hello, your beautiful." Janet quickly covered her mouth and blushed. She began pulling on her ear nervously.
"You're beautiful as well, I love your music. My favorite songs are Funny How Time Flies and State of the World."
"Thank you." Janet said, blushing again. "I like your spirit, I'd like to talk to you some more." She went in her backpack and pulled out a piece of paper and wrote her number down.
"Call me."

They both stepped off the elevator with smiles. Toni tucked the paper in her pocket and walked to her car. Janet went to her car and her bodyguard/driver Joey closed her door and drove away. Toni drove away after observing Janet getting in her car.

Toni could drive around with no protection, she hadn't become a star yet. She hopped on the freeway heading to her apartment. It took her about forty-five minutes to get home because of the LA traffic. All the while, her mind stayed on Janet. Toni had been admiring and following Janet's career since it began. She never thought that she would actually meet her. So it was a surprise when recording, she looked up to see Janet Jackson staring at her. Janet seemed to be in her head and never noticed Toni looking back. About two minutes after Janet walked away from the window, Toni asked if she was finished for the day and caught up to Janet on the elevator. Toni smiled as she parked her car and thought of the beautiful smile Janet had graced her with.

Toni was having a battle in her mind. She walked into her apartment and called her sister Traci just to talk.

"Hey, Trai, how are you?"
"I'm good, T. What's up with you? You sound different. Do I need to fly out there to kick some ass?"
"No Trai, it's nothing like that. I just met someone today and my attraction to them is throwing me for a loop."
"Oh girl, you met someone? Did you get the digits? Wait...why does this have you out of sorts?"
Toni hesitated and there was a pause in her breathing.
"Trai, its a..."
"T...is it a woman?"
"Yeah, Trai. I don't know how to feel. I've always been attracted to men but I saw her and something just pulled me to her."
"T, its ok. I just don't know what to tell you but talk to her. See where it goes. You never know. Sometimes our soul mate is not who we think it's supposed to be."
"Thanks Trai," she smiled. "I'm the older sister but you're giving me advice." She laughed, then continued, "So how is everyone?"
"Mom is mom. Trina is doing her own thing. Towanda is thinking about college and Tay-Tay is her usual self. Kevin and I are getting closer and I think he is my one. "
"That's good to hear. I'm glad everyone is ok. Trai I'll talk to you later, I need to go cook me something to eat."

Toni hung up the phone and walked into the kitchen looking in the fridge trying to decide what to cook. She settled on some chicken, a baked potato, and green beans. She sat down at the table and thought while she ate. Toni had been raised in strict Christian household and had always been taught that having feeling or being in a relationship with someone of the same set was a sin. Toni just couldn't wrap her mind around how she was feeling in this moment. She cleaned up her dishes, took the piece of paper out of her pocket and dialed the number. It rang twice...

"Hello," Janet said.
Toni froze, she took a breath and said "Hi, Janet. It's Toni."

It's short, I know there will be more next chapter. Just wait and see.