The Heat

January 2000

Toni's album, The Heat, was due to come out in April and she was prepping for small performances and a grueling press tour. 'He Wasn't Man Enough' would be the first single and she wanted Janet to hear it first before anyone else. After a late studio session putting the finishing touches on the album Toni invited Janet to come listen to the song. The studio was empty, and Toni was sitting at the mixing board waiting for her wife to come in. She had just texted that she was outside. Janet quietly opened the door and entered the studio.

Janet kissed her exposed neck and said, "Hey baby." Just that quickly Toni had dozed off. Toni could fall asleep anywhere.

"Hey J, did I fall asleep?"

"Yep. But that's ok love. I know you're tired."

"So you know the title of my album but I've been really secretive about the tracks. But I wanted you to be the first person besides the producers to hear the first single."

"I can't wait to hear it. Your voice is something else. I love it."

"The song is called 'He Wasn't Man Enough' listen and give me your honest opinion."

Toni played the song and looked at Janet for her reaction. Janet stale faced Toni, she didn't want to give anything away.

"What do you think?"

"That song is awesome babe, it's going to do great on the charts. So how many tracks on the album?"

"Twelve tracks in total. Remember my friend Keri?"

"Yeah I remember him. He's a pretty cool dude."

"So he co-wrote some of the tracks and produced some."

"When is the listening party? I want to make sure I'm free and have Kelly put it on my schedule."

"We are releasing it late April so probably the end of March or early April."

"Babe are you ready to go?"

"Yes. I am." She gave Janet that I want you now look. Janet quickly got up and headed to the door. They both knew that as soon as they got home what was going to happen. Their night was filled with passion and love. If Janet could get Toni pregnant, tonight would've been the night it happened.

As they put the finishing touches on the album before sending it to the record label executives Keri became more flirtatious with Toni. She took it in stride but she had to let Janet know what was going on. In the last few weeks they had both been busy Janet was still recording and Toni with rehearsals. Keri was also going to go on the road with the band while they did the press tour and promotion for her album. Toni liked the attention Keri gave her but she knew that she had to do something about it. He was getting a little too comfortable with her and she tried to push him away but he wouldn't get the hint.

Toni's mind was in turmoil about the whole thing. She was feeling guilty and she hadn't even done anything. This wasn't going to work while she was out promoting her album and performing. She definitely didn't need this kind of stress while she was away from Janet. They hadn't been able to have anything but five minute conversations in passing because both of their lives had been busy. This Keri thing though was getting to Toni. Did she feel an attraction to him? No. Did she like the attention? Yes. That's the main thing that bothered her, she likes the attention. Something had to give.

A week after noticing her internal conflict Toni decided to do something about it. She first would talk to Janet and then together they would decide what to do. They were together at home for the first time in almost a month.