The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:

Byleth:

"Can you stop that Dimitri" Byleth said, trying to hold back the irritation from seeping into her tone.

Dimitri's foot immediately stopped tapping the wooden floors of the Cardinal's room. "My apologies" he said in a sheepish voice.

Claude leaned forward resting his face in his palms, "How could Gilbert just say something like that then leave us to handle business" he said.

Edelgard nodded her head in agreement, "You do realize what it is about though, right?" she asked.

"I've got a general idea," Claude replied.

Dimitri sighed, "It seems we will be fighting the Church of Seiros sooner than expected" he said.

Byleth shut her eyes, waiting was nerve racking.

A few minutes passed; Dimitri's tapping began once again.

"I swear to Sothis Dimitri" Byleth groaned.

Claude chuckled, and Dimitri's face turned red. "I'm nervous" Dimitri murmured.

Byleth sighed. "I know, I'm sorry," she said.

A few more minutes passed.

"Gilbert sure is taking his time," Claude said.

"Perhaps he forgot that we are in here" Edelgard suggested.

Claude laughed, "I don't think Gilbert is that old" he said.

Dimitri shook his head in disapproval, and opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by the door opening and Gilbert followed by Alois and Jeralt walked in.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Your Highness" Gilbert said to Dimitri.

Dimitri nodded and smiled slightly, "No worries, Gilbert" he replied and paused for a moment "What was the purpose of Rhea's letter?" Dimitri asked.

Gilbert sat down at the table and sighed, "She offered to give you Faerghus back, and to get rid of Cornelia herself" he said.

Dimitri tensed up, "And what does she want in return" he said sternly.

Gilbert was silent for a moment, "She wants you to surrender Byleth over to her" he said "And I would assume Edelgard as well" he added.

Dimitri frowned, "No" he said sternly "We will liberate Faerghus from that woman" he added.

Gilbert nodded, "That is not all" he said.

Dimitri's brows furrowed, "What do you mean?" he asked.

"The Church of Seiros has dispatched a group of soldiers to attack Garreg Mach" Gilbert said "We estimate they will be here in two days' time" he added.

"Then we must prepare to face them" Dimitri said and stood up from his chair "I will not let Rhea take them, either of them" he declared and left from the room.

Gilbert got up and followed after Dimitri.

"I figured as much" Claude said, "However we can use this to our advantage" he said.

Edelgard furrowed her eyebrows at him, "What do you mean?" she asked.

"Right now, Rhea thinks you are dead" Claude said to Edelgard "She sent that letter hoping we would comply after being weakened by the Imperial army" he said "Which is why they sent out troops prior to knowing the results of that battle" he added.

"Ah, so you want to surprise them with three joint military forces" Jeralt butted in.

Claude nodded his head, "Exactly!" he enthusiastically.