Reclaiming Fhirdiad:

Dimitri:

The rain fell around them as Byleth stood there in silence for a moment longer.

Dimitri's heart broke for her, to dedicate her life to Fodlan and to be stopped in such a manner.

"Serves her right" Glenn retorted as he looked at the fallen soldiers "Did you forget the Holy Tomb already?" he asked.

Dimitri ignores him. "Byleth?" he called out "Come on, we need to go" he added.

Byleth nodded her head, "Yes, let's go" she said and turned to him, Edelgard had left them a few minutes ago for privacy.

There was so much Dimitri had wanted to say, but... he couldn't bring himself to do it, he followed her in silence as they regrouped with the others.

"Edelgard told us Rhea retreated," Claude said as they approached, Byleth nodded her head.

"What a coward" Felix retorted "Dragging Fhirdiad into this, rather than accepting the inevitable" he added.

Ingrid sighed, "I'll admit I had wished to keep our capital out of this as well" she said sadly.

Byleth's shoulders slumped, Dimitri couldn't help but feel a bit angered at his friend's insensitivity although to be fair they didn't know.

Dimitri shook his head, "It matters not, we need to strike now" he said.

"Agreed" Edelgard said "Let's not waste any more time we need to move out now" she added.

...

Byleth was silent.

Dimitri walked behind her watching, he had to wonder if this concern he felt is what she felt when he was the one behaving irrational?

Probably.

Byleth kept her blade in her hand the whole march to Fhirdiad, she was ready to strike Rhea down, that much was apparent.

But Dimitri wasn't ready.

He is selfish yes, he knows that. But he won't go against Byleth's wishes, if this is truly what she desires then he has no right to refuse it to her.

They stood outside of the gates of Fhirdiad.

His home.

This moment has been a long time coming.

"So... What now?" Claude asked.

Edelgard walked to the entrance "Rhea! Members of the Church of Seiros! Surely there is no need to continue this fight" Edelgard shouted "What could be gained by shutting yourselves within the capital" she said "We will give you this one chance... and no other" she added then paused for a moment "Throw down your weapons and surrender! We have no desire to unleash our power upon the citizens of Fhirdiad" Edelgard yelled.

There was silence.

His people, Dimitri was certain she had prevented them from leaving.

Everyone was silent, "Do we invade now?" Claude asked quietly.

Edelgard shook her head, "No, we'll give them a moment longer" she said "They have kept the people in... What the hell are they planning..." she murmured.

Dimitri ignored her own hypocrisy and waited.

Then they heard the roar.

Byleth perked up, "Dammit" she murmured.

Edelgard's eyes went wide, "That ghastly voice..." she said.

"Uh, guys do you see that?" Claude asked.