Allie

Imagine... a void.

Running through infinite blackness full of nothing.

Sometimes, people would talk to me. I'd respond in my head... but I couldn't physically.

Now, it almost feels strange to be seeing the world around me other than the darkness.

I take it all in for a few seconds, looking over the massive assortment of cables and tubes attached to me in some form or fashion. Ew, there's some weird tube down my throat and nose. I hate this.

My first instinct is to try to pull the tubes out, but I take a breath and try to calm down. I'll just hurt myself if I do that.

I look around the room, taking it in.

On the dresser on the wall in front of my bed, there's two bouquets of flowers and an assortment of stuffed animals and framed photos and cards. The flowers look fresh, so someone's been here recently. Spencer was the last person to visit me, I just don't know exactly how long ago it was.

There's a tray table beside me that serves as a home to another bouquet and two framed pictures. Spencer and... oh, my god. Are those our babies?

They're so big... dressed up as little lobsters and sitting on Spencer's lap. They must be at a pumpkin patch, because they're surrounded by pumpkins.

The second photo is of Spencer with his mom. They're sitting on a couch, one twin occupying each lap.

I can't see far enough to get a good look at the ones on the dresser, but I'm sure they're just as cute.

Now, I look for the call button. There has to be one, right? Somewhere?

I finally spot it, hanging off the side of the bed and reach for it. The reaching takes an awful lot of effort. God, how long has it been since I've moved?

After pressing the button I hear some commotion and suddenly, a few people step into the room.

"Hi, Alexandria. You're at Inova Hospital, you were in a very bad car accident. We don't want you to try talking until we can get the tubes out of your throat, so... can you blink twice for 'yes' and one, long blink for 'no'?"

I blink twice, getting a big smile from each of the three people standing in front of me.

"Alright, we're gonna get these tubes out and get your doctor in here, okay?" Anna asks me.

Again, I blink twice.

After the absolute hell of having tubes taken out of my throat, I sip from a cup of water before trying to ask the nurse to call Spencer. It comes out croaky, but she nods and heads out of the room.

After maybe two hours and loads of tests, I'm answering questions for a nurse, and I hear a knock at the door.

When I look in the direction of the door, my heart flutters when I see Spencer walk around the corner. He's brought sunflowers with him— and no babies.

"Hi," I smile at him.

He looks like he just rolled out of bed and threw on yesterday's suit. Spencer stares back at me in disbelief, not even smiling. He just stands there, shocked.

"You bring... you didn't bring—" I trip over my words for a second, taking a pause and gathering the words in my mind before trying to say it again. That's been a little bit of a problem all morning. "You didn't bring my babies?"

"I thought it'd be too much for your first day," He says, slowly stepping over to me as the nurse, Winston, stands up and says that he'll give us some time alone. Spencer sets the flowers down on the tray table and reaches over to brush my hair back. "I can't believe you're awake."