Chapter | Two

Fifteen years earlier

        The Sicily sun is bright and shining, like

        The Sicily sun is bright and shining, like... almost all the time. I can't wait to get rid of it! I miss NY, I miss the love of my life and I'm dying to meet my daughter.

Yeah, I have a daughter, that's what "grandpa Marce" has said. The fuck is going on over there and why my daughter calls fucking Marciano "grandpa" is something I still need to find out.

And I'm going to. This damn long waiting is about to finish soon.

Six months ago, I've had my last surgery, number five. They've patched me like the fucking Frankenstein. Five fucking times, before I was able to start the last phase of the therapy and walk without the shitty cane.

Today is a nice day, after all. Not boiling, like it usually is in Sicily, but still hot enough to make me happy that under this tree I can sit away from the melting sun.

I'm playing with the wedding ring around the base of my finger to ease my anxiety, pushing it with my thumbs faster and faster.

I'm having it with me ever since I asked her to wed me again. Hers is on the necklace I'm wearing.

I'm wondering if she'll still have me.

I've prepared everything for my coming back, everything except for Enzo. He still remembers nothing before the blast. I'm the only one he knows and because of that, we have stayed both of us here, far from home.

He refused to leave once he was completely healed, first because he remembers nobody else but also because of guilt for having taken my wife.

I made sure he felt guilty. Owning him my life or not, I fucking hate him for that.

I told him about all our history, circumstances, the hate and death-wish I carried for him for taking Becca away.

I don't want him to believe that being friends for the past almost four years will make me step back and let his way clear to Becca, nor that I have forgotten what he has done.

I would still snap his neck if he tried anything again. Without blinking. Or anybody else's, for the same matter.

I didn't see Becca for four years, and I told nobody I was alive except for my parents. Doctors were not sure until recently that I would be in one piece and properly functioning.

The good news came last week when doctor Malldini visited me, and he showed me the last results.

I'm patched all over but nicely put together. I'm not ashamed of myself therefore, It's my time to go back home.

"Hey, Lucas," I hear Enzo greeting, walking cheerfully towards me and pulling me out of the turmoil of thoughts running through my head.

Strangely enough, we've grown to be friends, quite close, like brothers, he says, but not before we had a serious fists fight, smashing his face and cracking his nose.