Chapter | Twenty-two

I'm so exhausted that sleep has come in all shapes, including a faint

        I'm so exhausted that sleep has come in all shapes, including a faint. Seconds after I close my eyes I drift into a deep slumber and forget this world in a blink of an eye.

I don't know how much I've slept, but when I open my eyes, I can see it's still dark outside. It must be very late at night or very early in the morning, and my stomach rumbles like it has a life of its own.

I twist and turn and do my best to forget about this life-sucking hunger and go back to sleep because I know that the moment I stand up all sleep is gone.

Useless though, I have to feed the monster in my stomach.

I roll on one side, standing up from the warmth of my bed that I'm already missing and I think of how nice it would have been to put that ass of Jason's at work and bring me food in bed.

But then again, that would give him sort of... a word to say in this house and that is not sitting well with me.

So, I throw a house robe over my... nothing (I love sleeping naked) and walk out of my bedroom towards the kitchen, slapping my feet on the kitchen marble.

"Are you okay?" Jason's voice bellows in the room and the bottle of milk I've just opened flies gracefully from my hands over the kitchen island, greeted by my pitched yelp, and lands, in the same elegance, on Jason's shirt as he's standing in front of me, on the other side of the island.

"Fuck!" Jason curses, shaking his hands, splashing the milk all over the floor, and checking his black shirt stained with the white liquid.

"Fucking shit, Jason," I mumble, trying to regain my breath. "What the hell are you doing?" I shout in a pitched voice.

"Me? What the fuck are you doing?!" he replies, taking tissues from the counter to wipe off the milk.

"Well, I didn't hear you sneaking up on me like that," I say sarcastically. "You scared the shit out of me, Jason!"

"I wasn't sneaking, Eve," he replies, wiping his shirt some more and throwing the dirty tissues into the garbage bin.

"I wasn't sneaking, Eve," I say, mocking his deep, rough voice.

He smiles, peeking at me, and shakes his head.

"You're a fucking full hand, Eveline."

"You're a fucking full hand, Eveline," I mock him some more, walking to the counter and grabbing a water bottle from the stand.

"Hey, stop that!" he laughs.

I shift my eyes to him, staring at his face, and admire him in his full glory.

He's totally changed in my eyes. His rather medium figure looks now bulky, toned with wide shoulders and thick arms, chest hard, showing through the few open buttons of his shirt.