Chapter | Twenty-one

"Mamma, why are you shouting like this?" I say, sitting up straight on my bed and staring at my mom's beaming face

"Your father is coming back! They'll fly early morning," she says happily and jumps right into my arms, knocking me down back to my bed.

She's a mess of sobs and laughter and giggles.

"Oh, sweetheart, they are all fine. They are all coming back," he mumbles in my ear, squeezing me tighter.

I shift my eyes to Jason who is witnessing our little moment from the frame of the door.

He understands immediately my questioning glare and fetches his phone, walking out of my room and making the call I beg for.

"We'll travel to NY today. Jason needs to do some arrangements before they are home," mom says when finally lets me loose and we both sit on the bed's edge, one next to the other, shoulder to shoulder, both of us with shattered hearts, both of us frightened for the men we love.

"That's great, Mamma. We can finally go home," I say, forgetting that for mom home is here. She would choose this place any time, without giving a second thought.

"This is home for me," she pouts, caressing my head and playing with my hair. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart," she says in a soft voice.

"What for?" I ask, shifting my eyes to her.

"Your dad. He didn't mean to be like that with you, baby."

"Oh, I know, Mamma. Don't worry about it," I tell her and hug her.

"I do worry, Eve. I'm worried about you. You've changed, sweetheart. Is everything okay?" she continues, and I skip a heartbeat being afraid she can read my secret with that intense glare she gives me, like staring right through me and seeing my poor shaky heart.

No, mamma, everything is not okay. Everything is fucked up and your daughter's heart is hurting.

I wished I could say that out loud but... Enzo has said he'll tell dad, he'll take care of it. I'm going to let that for him.

"Sure I'm fine, Mamma. Why do you think otherwise?"

"You know you can talk to me about anything, sweetie," she insists and lifts my head with the tips of her fingers so I can face her.

"Mamma, I don't want to talk about it," I try to divert the discussion to Jason, and it surely has worked.

"Jason is a good kid, you know?"

"Mamma, I don't want to talk about it. He lied! Period!" I reply with an irritated tone and stand up, hoping she'll drop it.

Shit! Diverting the talk to Jason matter doesn't seem a good choice anymore. It feels like old news and I hope she won't push for more.

"Alright, sweetheart. Just... don't shut us out, baby. We love you," she wraps up the subject and pulls me in a long, tender hug.

"I love you too, Mamma."