Chapter | Thirty-two

"Are you surfing?" I ask her back the same questions, being sure she doesn't even know what that is, but instead, she grins her small teeth in a smile for the first time since she has come

Obviously, she likes it, and I'm wondering how on earth a kid of five is surfing.

"You should show me sometime," I request, mirroring her candy licking.

"Tomorrow? Aunty Feli is taking me to the beach. Are you coming, too?" she asks cheerfully.

"Are you inviting me?"

"Yup," she replies, busying herself with the lollipop again.

"Well... yes. I'll come," I say, and she runs back into the house with no other words as if knowing I'm going to be with them at the beach tomorrow is the only thing she has wanted from me.

I follow her with my thin narrowed eyes, and I keep staring at the sliding doors for a few moments more. I don't even know why I think about going but I guess deep inside I'm curious to meet her mother. I'm curious to see what his "mistake" looks like.

The next day we have officially called it "off day" although is Tuesday.

We've all stopped everything we've had to do and planned to go out to the beach for an easy and relaxing day.

Jason is almost done with the restaurant. I swear he loves the idea more than I do. But then again, for me, it's more of an excuse to run away.

We're one week ahead with the preparations for the opening, but we'll stick with the date initially selected, the 6th of August, exactly three months since my arrival in Italy.

My new house is furnished already. I have no idea what it looks like, as Jason wants to keep it a surprise. We're going to move on the weekend, and as much as I love living with aunt Feli, I can't wait to move into my new house.

Jason has befriended Emillia really fast. You might wonder why.

Well, Jason is surfing. That's right, he has become suddenly the pink elephant in the room and the only attraction for Emillia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. It's just... the bond that grows between Jason and Emillia is so touching that I can only think of how beautiful that bond would have been between Emillia and Enzo. He's her father, after all.

And then my thoughts switch to my unborn baby and the guilt of keeping its father away.

But then again, why would Enzo treat my baby any differently from the way he treats Emillia? What if he doesn't even want another child? What if... and I forcefully stop my sorrowful thoughts before diving into another whirlpool of sadness and regrets?

I don't dare to think about it. I don't dare to say it. And I'll not risk it.

I stretch my legs lazily in front and slide down in the chair, enjoying the view of a cheerful Jason teaching Emillia surfing tricks and a Massimo playing pricks on them.