Chapter | Thirty-six

Lucas flew back home in the morning after the raid

I didn't.

It was a struggle, some rough words said, a lot of threats, and of course, Becks calling me the next day, begging me again to give Eve the time she needed, the time she fucking thought she needed.

Well, fuck it all! Fuck time! And fuck her tantrums!

'I'm going to her tomorrow and that's fucking final,' I think to myself while walking towards my bedroom, with a bottle of whiskey topped with a glass in one hand and cigarettes in the other, walking barefoot through the living room, wearing nothing but the black pajama pants, hanging carelessly on my hips.

I'm all alone. Alone in this huge mansion, using only one living room, one-bedroom, and the kitchen.

There are six weeks since the raid on Valentinis and I've ordered that during these six weeks nobody moves anywhere.

We're all on duty 24/7 to make sure that if there are to be any descendants of Valentinis left, they'll come out or we'll find them, so it feels just right to wait before we call it a done deal.

I enter my bedroom, dark all over, just the moonlight pocking inside through the open huge doors of the glass wall. I push the door closed with one leg and walk out on the balcony, placing the bottle and the glass on it, filling it up, and lightening a cigarette, sucking the smoke, long and deeply as if it's a joint.

I miss a joint like fuck, but I have to keep myself clear-minded till we wrap up the raid thing. So, I take my mind away from it and sip small gulps of the whiskey I have had prepared for myself.

Two puffs later my phone laying on the small glass coffee table next to me buzzes and I see Feli's name on the screen.

I skip a heartbeat, sometimes these calls make my blood cold like ice thinking that maybe something has happened to my girl.

"Enzo," I reply coldly.

You see, we've been having this code between us that whenever we are being called, we must speak first when picking up, and say our names. Safety matters.

"Hey, caro. How are you?" she says in a soft voice, most probably the entire house sleeping by now. (Sweetheart.)

"I'm good, Feli. How is everything there?" I ask leisurely, trying to sound interested in everybody, but I only want to know about my girl.

"Good, quiet. You don't need to worry," she replies with kindness, being now the sweet, caring Feli I know.

"Aunt Feli, the tea is ready," I hear Eve talking to her aunt in the background.

"I'm coming, sweetheart," Feli replies.

"Sorry, it's teatime," she excuses herself, mocking Eve with an English accent, making me smirk bitterly.