Chapter | Thirty-nine

I can hear Jason clearing his throat, walking out on the patio

"We... we should get going to the restaurant. They're waiting," he says but mom and I stand still, wrapped in our heartbreaking moment, without replying or letting go of each other.

"Mamma..." I finally say without moving.

"Yes, sweetie," she replies.

"Would you like to come with us? To the restaurant, I mean. I know you might be tired but..." I speak.

"Oh no, not tired at all, Eve. I took your father's jet. At least that he could do for us, being as stubborn as he is," she completes waving her hand in the air, giving a bothered frown along with it.

I smile bitterly realizing how much I'm missing my dad.

We've spent the next few days back and forth between home and the restaurant. So many things are to prepare, menus, invitations, timings, and mom has been a tremendous help.

I feel so much better lately and I'm so grateful because I want to enjoy the great event tomorrow.

We've all woken up very early today, gathered at my house, and waiting for the cars to come and pick us up. Today are the last arrangements before the opening.

But with all the excitement around, a part of myself is sunk in sadness, missing the two most important men in my life.

Enzo hasn't called or sent any sign. I know he's watching over me. I miss him to the core of my heart but something stops me from contacting him. Maybe he just wants to be away and I'll respect that.

I take another look at myself in the mirror before getting downstairs and leaving. Walking into my bedroom I see mom sitting on the armchair at the foot of my bed, whispering something on the phone.

It must be my dad. I wished he was here for this special day.

I fight a lonely tear forming in my eyes and walk a few steps closer to mom and before I o say something she jerks surprised at my presence and stares at me, trying to hide her own tears.

"I'll call you back in the evening, love," she says on the phone and I know she's been talking to dad. "I'll tell her, baby," she continues, smiling back at me and hanging up.

"That was your dad. He's kissing you," she tells me, grabbing my hand and squeezing it lightly.

I kiss her on the crown of her head and pull out my phone from the dress pocket, dialing a number.

"Tate," my father's baritone voice bellows in the phone.

"Hey, Dad," I say, my voice cracking at the end with tears that keep forming in my eyes.

"Pumpkin..." he replies in a softened voice and a deep breath as if I'm the last person on earth he expects to hear. "Is everything alright, Eve?"

"No, Dad," I say unable to stop my sobs. "I miss you, Dad," I tell him and all I hear is a groan of anger coming from the depth of his chest. I can almost see him pacing around his office, running his fingers through his hair.