Chapter | Seven

I keep on running as soon as I'm out of the car, till I reach my apartment and lock the door behind me, secretly hoping he'll follow me

He didn't.

I lean my back against the door, trying to catch up with my breath. It has been hard to resist, his grip on my arm still burning my skin.

I close my eyes just to shape his face in my mind, those black eyes peering at me as if I'm the only existing scenery for him.

He's my father's best friend, he's the man I've called uncle all my life. And yet here he is today, the man to melt my heart with every stare, the man to suck me in that lustful look like I've never felt before.

Now I do miss the guards my father has always set for me, but I've refused once I've left our home. 'Being rich brings enemies,' dad used to say, but I knew better. It wasn't being rich to put us in danger but him being who he had been all of his life.

Most probably he still is, because mom has never denied the type of business my dad is doing ever since he knows her, and the type of businesses he has had for years with Grandpa Marce.

And even though he has never spoken about it, we all know he's still the head of shady businesses in NY.

He has managed to offer me and mom a normal life, though, except for the guards following us everywhere and the security around our mansion. And the guards, taking me to school. And Mike. And Tea. But other than that, we have been a normal family for most of the time.

My decision to go to a law school had its roots in my dad's type of business. Pretty sure he would need a good lawyer one day. Or maybe not, but I still wanted to be there with real help if the need came, even though my strongest desire had always been to get away from that life.

I felt caged, trapped, having his guards walking around behind me as if I was some sort of state treasure. When

I told dad I don't want them anymore it caused a few days of tense discussion to make me understand they were mandatory but finally, my father gave up and let me have it my way.

Truth be told, I believe that there is still someone, somewhere, watching me. My father would never give in as easy as he did that day and that's why I knew the guards were still watching, but hidden.

Nevertheless, I wished I had them now. They would have kept Enzo away. They would have made it hard for him to get close and mess with my brain... and my heart.

I hit the snooze button twice this morning. The third time I had to open my eyes and sit up straight with a groan, stretching my arms up to the ceiling, and squeezing my eyes till I felt the blood running through my veins again.

I've slept just a few hours, the rest of the night my mind being busy with... Enzo.

He kept coming into my thoughts the entire night, and I imagined his arms around me and his lips kissing me.