Chapter | Forty-five

"What?!" Becks asks, pulling herself away and staring into my eyes, searching for the truth of the words I've spoken

Well, I must look genuine because her lips stretch in a beaming smile, covering her mouth with one hand while I take the other one and place a kiss on her knuckles.

"She's the one," I say, shrugging my shoulders.

"Who is the one?" Feli asks oblivious to our topic, closing in with two coffees in her hands, handing one to me. "You really need one," she winks.

Becks keeps staring at me, totally stunned by the news, unable to wipe off the smirk she has plastered on her face.

Feli still looks dumbfounded, shifting her eyes from me to Becks, raising her eyebrows, and becoming impatient.

"What is it with you two? Is la mia nipote awake?" she asks, eyes widening and a beaming smile completing the confusion mixed with curiosity plastered on her face. (My niece).

Becks keeps chuckling, rolling her wedding ring on her finger, sending my sister messages that haven't passed unnoticed.

"No!" she mumbles. "Mio Dio, Santa Maria, la Madre de Dio!" she whispers in excitement while I shyly rub the back of my neck. "Enzo, caro mio," she keeps bubbling, coming closer to me and throwing her arms around my neck. "Sono tanto felice per voi due," she declares, and now she's literally crying her eyes out. (My God, Santa Maria, Mother of God) (Enzo, my darling) (I am so happy for the two of you).

"Grazie, Feli," I reply and give her a warm hug, burying my nose in the crook of her neck, glaring at Becks as she stares at us, fat tears rolling down her cheeks, stumbling in her plump lips stretched in a smile. (Thank you).

"Did you ask her?" Feli wants to know.

"I have a harder task before that," I reply.

"Lucas?" she guesses, raising her eyebrows.

Massimo follows, bringing coffees as well, while I take a seat to distance myself from the emotions floating around, keeping myself silent.

From the joy of having almost all the family on my side... yeah, almost, I shift to feeling heartbroken for not knowing anything about Eve yet, but with my mind in peace, since Lucas seems to have finally understood that Eve and I are a reality he can't object to anymore, no matter what. It's a milestone, I'll give you that, but one that I'm adamant to cross.

"What about me?" Lucas shows up out of nowhere, closing in the getting his wife in his arms.

"Um... nothing... nothing, just thinking you might want a coffee," Feli quickly replies to Lucas, fishing the cup of coffee from the table and handing it to him, smiling a wide, nervous smile.

"Eveline Tate?" a doctor comes in followed by some nurses and we all jump on our feet, circling him, eyes glued to his face, jaws clenched, breaths stuck.