Chapter - Forty-four

I've had my fair share of spilling blood in my life, brains blown on walls and floors, teeth pulled out, skin peeled off, flesh ripped from bones, gun wounds, some of my own, explosions, blasts, all the fucking things you can think of, but...

        I've had my fair share of spilling blood in my life, brains blown on walls and floors, teeth pulled out, skin peeled off, flesh ripped from bones, gun wounds, some of my own, explosions, blasts, all the fucking things you can think of, but nothing has ever scared me more than the blood of Eve on her white skin, her thin legs, on my fucking hands!

Sitting in the back seat of the car and holding her in my lap I search for signs of life on her pale face, head leaned against my bare chest, feeling her cold lips on my skin, gripping her wrist to find some pulse.

She's cold, she's so fucking cold and I'm pressing my cheek on her forehead, trying to give her some heat from my skin.

"How is she?" Lucas is asking in an unbelievably controlled manner as if I have a doll in my arms and not his daughter.

Well, I guess that's why Lucas is Lucas. He has one mission now, taking his daughter to the hospital and that's exactly what he does.

"Breathing. Just fucking drive, Luc!" I mumble an order at him although he's actually piloting the car.

He pulls his phone out, connects it to the car's Bluetooth, and calls the emergency hospital.

"Emergency Hospital, how may I help you?" a woman's voice replies.

"My name is Lucas Tate and I'm bringing in my daughter, Eveline Tate, for... a possible miscarriage... I guess... We'll be there in three minutes," he speaks awfully composed, like a solder although I've felt his voice cracking at some point.

I squeeze Eve closer to my chest. I've never fucking begged in my life, but right now I'm begging her in a whisper to hold on, to fucking hold on, not to give up on me.

The moment Lucas pulls the car right at the hospital's main access, nurses are rushing out with a wheeled stretcher.

He jumps out of the driver's seat and runs around the car, opening the door to my side even before the stretcher is next to the car.

He takes Eve from my arms, laying her down on the stretcher in perfect synchronization with the medical team and the nurses push it back in, waiting no more, while I get down from the car and rush after them with Lucas on my heels.

Both of us are running behind the nurses, Lucas hoping he can get another glimpse at his daughter and me struggling to get one more squeeze on Eve's hand before they take her into the surgery room, but when I'm just about to reach it, a nurse pins herself in front of me.

"Sir, you can't get in there! This is the furthest you can go, sir," she says and all I think about is what a pity I don't have my gun with me!

In that second over there my brain switches instantly to a survival mood, remembering I have Lucas next to me. So, I curl my hand around his waist and pull out his gun, aiming it at the nurse's nose in a millisecond.