Chapter | Twenty-six

Her fucking words feel like knives falling from the sky on all of us, stabbing our brains and flooding them with boiling blood that makes my temples throb

My fingers clench around the fork I've been eating with, feeling it bending in my hand.

"Excuse me, what?!" I rasp, forgetting where I'm, with whom I'm, her angelic face being the only point of interest for me.

She ignores me and keeps shoving the fucking pasta in her mouth as if nothing has happened.

Lucas, next to me, stops breathing for a moment. He lets the fork slide slowly from his hand, grabbing the napkin and padding his mouth with it.

She gracefully continues ignoring the fucking blast that has come out of her mouth as if they are music notes and not a shitty notification of something she has already decided.

"Pumpkin, care to develop that?" Lucas says in a metallic voice, one I haven't heard for years.

"Well, I want to do something for myself. What do you think about partnering with me in a business, Dad?" she asks her father in a birdie tone, all smiles and glitters while looking at him.

"Eve, what are you talking about?" Becks barely speaks with a faded voice and tears threatening to spring out of her beautiful green eyes.

I know my Becks. She never breaks down for anybody but her daughter and Lucas, but when she does, her whole being is crushed, close to death.

My eyes are glued to Eve's face, battling between holding myself still or jumping over the table, fetching her away like a hungry beast.

"I'm planning to open a restaurant in Italy, Mamma. You know how much I've always wished for that, and I think now... is the perfect time for it," she replies, stretching one hand over the table and cupping her mother's hand, clenched in a fist.

My nostrils are arched, and I hardly hold my wrath in the back of my tongue.

I desperately try to catch a look in her eyes and stop my anger from escaping my mouth as all I feel right now is to grab her nicely, throw her on my lap face down and spank her ass red for the brat that she is.

But then again, Eve that is unfolding right now in front of my eyes is so much different. She looks strong, confident, and composed to the core of her bones.

When the fuck has my girl grown to be this shining fucking gorgeous woman?

Her green eyes are glazed with joy, her beautiful, sensual mouth smiles perfectly, her curly black hair circling her white face makes her look like an angel and I'm just realizing now, for the nth time, how much I love her. And like an idiot, I've never even properly told her.

"See, Eveline, I do have plenty of businesses around the world," Lucas finally speaks in a voice that really means business. "Why would I need one more, on the other side of the earth, taking my daughter in fucking place I can't control?" he continues, and boy, I feel a thunder closing in.