Chapter | Thirty-seven

"What company are you talking about?" I mumble, turning my head to the back of the car where I can see a black SUV, driving a few good meters behind us

"Really, Dad?! A black SUV? Couldn't you find something more obvious?" I say more to myself and then turn around to sit back straight in my seat, being sure they are dad's men following us. "Come on, Dad!" I continue and smirk, turning my look in front.

"Can you lose them?" I ask Jason, but before I get the chance to finish, he pulls the steering wheel to the right and squeezes the car through some ruined houses on a narrow street that hardly fits our car.

"I have to lose them, Eve! That's not your dad's nor Don Enzo's men," he says and I grab the blocked seatbelt, holding myself tight while Jason is speeding along the countryside road between the old, deserted buildings of the village, with the black SUV still following us, making its way through the houses surprisingly easy.

Our car is shaking off all its screws and Jason is doing his best to control it on the bumpy road. We speed along with the old houses, dust rising in the air like fog behind us.

"Hold tight, Eve!" Jason shouts at me, shifting his eyes from the road to me and from me to the road.

"Okay," I mumble, squeezing tighter my grip on the seatbelt while my butt jumps up and down like in a roll-coaster.

I take one more look behind to see how close to us they are and out of nowhere, like shaping itself from the old, broken walls of the buildings like a ghost, another car jumps into the view hitting the black SUV on one side, smashing it through some houses.

"Fucking shit!" Jason curses, staring in the rear mirror, pushing the paddle to the floor, taking us out of the village and back to the main road.

"What was that?" I ask him, shaking from all my bones, panting, and cheeks burning with the adrenaline high to the skies.

I press my right hand on my lower belly, chanting soothing words to my baby.

"That, sweetheart, is fucking good news and bad news," Jason says, eyes glued to the road and with a firm grip of his hands on the steering wheel, checking the road in the back of the car and then rounding his eyes left and right.

"Good news first, please," I request.

"Either your dad or Don Enzo know each step we make," he says leisurely, a relieved smile creeping on his face while I roll my eyes to the back of my head.

"And how is this good news, Jas?" I spit at him angrily because that is exactly what I don't want to happen.

"Well, because of the other news. The bad one. Someone was hunting us," he replies.

"Somebody other than your father or Don Enzo," he clarifies, still checking around, but no other car appears, which makes us breathe in relief.

"So, they knew where I was all along," I conclude, absently and not giving a damn about Jason's conclusions, findings, or whatever Sherlock Holmes shit he thinks he has discovered.