Chapter | Twenty-four

Jason stretches his right arm around my shoulders and pulls me in a hug, struggling to hold tight the steering wheel with his left one, knuckles turning white while speeding on the streets of NY

"Sh, it's okay, Eve. It will be fine, baby. Calm down, sweetie. Think about the baby, Eve," he mumbles, and my cries grow higher, wrapping my arms around my womb while Jason squeezes me even tighter.

His words revive the reality of things being deeper than just a break-up or a secret being revealed. I'm pregnant with Enzo's child, but at this moment, I don't even know if I want him to find out or not.

He and mom have been together or are still together, I don't know, and I don't think I even want to know.

Their fears came true, as true as my pain is, and I wished Jason took me to a place that nobody knew about and nobody could find me.

What about dad? Did dad know about it? I heard Enzo saying "Lucas did understand" so my dad knew.

He knew and still let Enzo exist in our lives, become a family, knowing him as the closest figure to an uncle next to uncle Mike.

My phone is ringing, Jason's phone is buzzing in his pocket, but he doesn't even bother, nor do I feel to give it any attention.

I know it's Enzo. I don't feel to talk right now, much less talking to him.

Jason keeps his eyes tight on the road, driving with one hand, the other one still holding me while I cry out loud with my nose buried in his shoulder.

"That's it, girl. We're home now," he says while parking the car.

But instead of getting us upstairs to my penthouse he unbuckles our seatbelts and pulls me to his lap, chest to chest, his hands curled around me whispering soothing words in my ear while I let myself limp on his chest, decided to cry till my tears will stop falling.

"It's okay. It will be fine. I'll always be there, girl. Always be there," he whispers, rubbing one hand on my back, the other one curled around my waist, giving me the time to recollect.

I don't know how long we've been staying like that while our phones are on fire, ringing and buzzing.

My cries slowly become sobs, and finally, I sniff them away with my last powers.

"I want to go up," I tell him.

"Okay, girl. Let's go up," he replies and wipes away the last tears I've shed. "Hold on to me," he says, and opening the door he pushes his long legs out, standing up from the car while protecting my head.

He pushes the door closed with one leg and starts walking towards the elevator while I press the code.

I lay my head on his shoulder, and we both wait for the elevator to reach my penthouse.