Chapter | Forty-eight

"Valentini

        "Valentini..." I mumble in a deep voice, my nostrils arching and fists clenching, looking straight into Lucas' eyes.

Mario has been like a little brother to me, but a traitor is a traitor after all, and no traitor of mine will get to breathe another breath.

"You made me shoot my own family. And Alex... he shot my brother," Mario says, becoming menacing by the second, speaking in a voice filled with hate and threat.

"What did you do with Alex?" I ask him, being sure something is wrong because Alex would have never changed plans before telling me. And he has been the one supposed to bring Camilla in.

"Let's just say justice has been done," he replies.

"Cazzo, Mario!" I hiss. (Fuck).

It's hurting, not the treason itself, but because Mario is the one to have done it. I care for this kid, he's like a family member, and the story with Valentini is slightly hard to believe.

"Did you kill Jason, Valeria?" I ask in a controlled voice that even I can't recognize.

"That was easy," Mario replies instead, with a smirk and I hear a second gun clicking, which means Mario has one ready.

"He was such a lonely soul, in love with a woman he couldn't have," she spits filled with fake sorrow for the guy, and I know she talks about Eve.

"Is this why you've tried to kill Eve's baby?" I mumble, squeezing my grip around Camilla's neck, and I'm sure she's short of air by now.

"Your baby, Don Enzo!" Valeria shouts back at me, her high-pitched voice scratching my ears and breaking on the cement walls of the basement. The hate in her voice can freeze the hell even. "I know it's yours. I wanted to kill something of yours like you killed someone of mine," she keeps yelling.

"You see, Enzo, Pedro hasn't been only my half-brother, he has also been the father of the baby that Valeria is carrying," Mario speaks.

"That grand opening of her restaurant has been the perfect cover. Jason invited me. What a pussy! He fell right into my trap," she continues, and I look at Camilla, glaring deeply into her brown orbs, almost apologizing for what I'm about to do.

I've always believed Camilla to be an unscrupulous woman, without dignity and ready to resort to any tricks to achieve her goal, but this time I see in her eyes a cue of encouragement for what she knows well I'll do, her eyes responding with a glare of understanding because it seems she does has some sort of dignity after all or maybe because she knows who I am.

There is no way that someone hurts what is mine and gets away with it.

I turn my head to see Lucas, his lips pursed in a thin line and eyelids closing slowly in agreement, his right hand slightly shaking.

I see his face changing in so many colors and I know that if it hasn't been for the respect he has always had for a Don, Valeria's brain would have been already sprawled all over the place by now.