Chapter | Thirty-one

As confident as I was, being already on the flight to Italy, a good chunk of my heart was left behind, with Enzo

I didn't leave any word to him. Nothing. I just grabbed my things and left and I could only think about what dad said, that mom had left him once. And how broken he was while saying that, although I was sure it happened years back.

During the flight, Jason stuffed me with a good deal of food. It was true, I fought for it and then threw it all up.

Yup. My morning sickness.

And then I slept, all the way to Rome, leaned against the right headrest of my seat and legs curled up in Jason's lap. Being not the jet of my father that I had been used to, the trip was rather exhausting.

When we arrived in Rome, it was 6 pm and I was dead tired. In one hour we had another flight to Palermo, thankfully, one hour flight only.

"How are you feeling?" Jason asks me while waiting to board for Palermo.

We're sitting on the chairs in front of the gates, one next to the other, him holding me to his chest while I'm struggling not to fall asleep again.

"Tired. I can't wait to get there. I need food. I need a shower, and I need to sleep," I pout.

"We'll arrive soon. In two hours, you'll be in your bed," he replies, planting a kiss on the crown of my head.

Nope. I was not in my bed for two hours.

We landed actually two hours later. I hated the trip. I had never ever felt this tired in my life, but then again, I had never been so pregnant before, so...

Once off the flight, Jason takes our luggage and we walk out through the gates where other people are waiting for their dear ones to come, eyes glued to the gates, checking on each one of us, walking out.

Somewhere in the back, I can see aunt Feli, jumping around like a kid when seeing me and running towards me, almost knocking me down when she hugs me.

"Tesoro mio, sei finalmente arrivato. Mio Dio, guarda te stesso! Bellissima! Bella proprio come tua madre. Vieni qui," she keeps talking in Italian, things I can't understand, but by her expression, she must be happy, thrilled with happiness. (My darling, you have finally arrived. My God, look at yourself! Exquisite! Beautiful, just like your mother. Come here).

She keeps pulling me into her arms and then releasing me again to look at my stunned smiling face, and then she hugs me again. She's bubbling with joy.

She's the same beautiful woman I remember, maybe just some extra wrinkles, her eyes resembling so much the ones of Enzo.

Massimo, her husband, comes closer to us, shaking hands with Jason who is as stunned as I am.

"Dai, Feli, lascia respirare la ragazza. Perché sei sommerso dappertutto? Non vedi che è stanca?" He says to aunt Feli then pushes her aside, taking her place in hugging me and watching me and then hugging me again, speaking to me in Italian. (Come on, Feli, let the girl breathe. Why are you swamped all over her? Don't you see she is tired?).