Chapter | Fifty

I break into a healthy burst of laughter on the phone, waiting for Becks to come down from her frantic yelling and laughing, and boy, that has felt good

"Wow, Becks. Come on, keep it down. I still have to tell Lucas, and I have to do it myself," I tell her, my heart clenching a bit at the thought.

"Oh, of course. I'm sorry," she whispers, playing as my partner in crime.

"Um... is... he around?" I ask her, rubbing the back of my neck and walking around my room like a fucking teenager preparing to talk to his high school sweetheart's father.

"His office," Becks' voice comes through the phone with a nervous breath, which doesn't really sit well with me.

"Becks, everything okay with you, guys?" I can't help asking.

I know Becks better than I know anything in my life, and that breath over there just spoke volumes.

"Yeah... yeah... sure, we're fain," she replies totally unconvincing, but I decide not to push more for the moment.

"Alright," I reply, followed by a few moments of heavy silence, none of us willing to cut the call.

She definitely has something to say, something is going on over there.

"Becks, you know I'm here, right? For anything," I say, but she keeps quiet, and I stop breathing for a second, giving her the time and comfort to speak, which she doesn't do.

Stubborn! I know something is wrong with her.

"Alright, tesoro. Speak to you later, then?" I reply in a soothing tone, sounding more of a question than a statement. She knows I won't give up and get back to her eventually and make her tell me. (Sweetheart).

"Bye, Enzo," she cuts it short, then hangs up.

I'm hundred percent sure something is happening, but tomorrow is another day.

I know, I might be a bastard. But never have I felt before in my life a day as special as today and I'm going to keep it this way.

Note to self: call Mike.

I scroll through the call log on my phone and press the green button when Lucas' number is in my view.

"Enzo, my man. How are you?" Lucas says after a few rings, sounding happy.

Well, thank God for that mood over there because I really don't know how he'll take my news.

"Hey Lucas, how is everything?"

"Good, good... just perfect. I hope my daughter is doing well," he says, changing the subject, one that I can't pursue right now, my mind willing to work on nothing but making this night a magical one.

"She's doing great, her little belly is showing shyly. Listen, um... about that... I - I want to tell you... to ask you... look, I'm going to propose tonight, and..."