Epilogue

"Grandpa! Grandpa, come!" Julian shouts, grabbing my index with his small finger, being the only thing he can fit into his tiny palm, and pulling me outside on the patio where I've promised him we will play

He's five, and he's the one keeping us on our toes from sunrise to sunset and when I tell us, trust me, "us" is super extended, from Marciano and Genny to Mike and Tea, and the rest of us, his slaves. I swear this kid is our beginning and our end.

My cute grandson grabs the ball in his tiny hands, running back at me and stumbling along the way, his ball rolling away while he cushions his fall with his hands pinned to the ground.

"Nothing happened, boy! Stand up, Julian. Grab that ball," I tell him in a rush, attempting to take his mind away from the fright of falling.

Which worked. I'm proud of my boy, he's brave, and I'll always support him to grow that courage in him.

"Grandpa," I hear Emillia calling me and I turn around towards her while Julian's ball is rolling at my feet.

"Hey, sweetie pie," I say with a beaming smile, stretching my arms towards her while she gracefully walks to me.

Emillia is another revelation of our extended family. We're more unrelated blood members in this family and the best of them is this little girl, who completely has my heart wrapped in the sweetest love possible.

I don't know how, but she's the best copy of my Eve when she has been her age. The same warm heart, the same maturity, and hell, the same stubbornness packed in this little brat. What is different? This little Emillia has no fear, I swear. She's always calm and daring, always teaching us a lesson about how life should be loved and not feared.

"How are you, sweetheart?" I ask, lifting her in my arms as she plants a kiss on my cheek, circling her arms around my neck, being careful that she doesn't drop the lollipop.

"Grandpa, I need you to be calm so we can act with a clear mind, alright?" she speaks, nodding her head and looking deeply into my eyes.

"Okay," I say.

"The baby is coming," she replies to my complete oblivion of what she's trying to say.

I raise my eyebrows at her in expectation, hoping she'll come up with more details for that.

And then the wheels in my head get in motion, growing dreadful anxiety in my chest, realizing what she means.

"Oh, my God! Oh, My God! The baby!" I shout, dropping Emillia from my arms while she rolls her eyes as if she has been sure all along about my reaction.

I turn around and fetch Julian, lifting him with one arm and grabbing Emillia's hand with the other.

My hands are shaking and sweating, running inside the house and pulling the poor kid after me who doesn't look thrilled at all, busing herself with her lollipop.