Chapter | Thirty-four

The rest of the trip went in perfect silence

        The rest of the trip went in perfect silence. I dozed off a few times, while Lucas leaned on the backrest of the sofa, keeping his posture unchanged all along, knees flexed and left arm on his stomach, right one over his eyes.

I hate this tension between us. We've shared good and bad, we've faced death both of us, we've gone through thick and thin and beyond our powers for the woman we've both loved at that time.

He won, I gave up. Becks was never mine anyway, but Lucas and I... we've created a bond stronger than sharing the same blood.

I shot a fucking bullet in the head of Salvatore, my own brother, and he saw that. And I did that because I knew that a dead Lucas would be the end of Becks and I rather saw her away from me than broken.

Salvatore was lost anyway. He shot me that night like I was not his blood and flesh, and I was sure he would have shot anybody standing in his way.

I had my personal vendetta with my brother. His weakness and blackmail gave me no choice but to accept to be a Don, the only one thing I never wanted.

I'm keeping my eyes closed for the past one hour. I don't want to open them because if I do the shape of my beautiful Eve will disappear.

Eve smiling the world back at me, Eve dancing like a mermaid swimming in the sea, Eve blushing when I mess her insides, Eve kissing the life out of me, Eve coming undone under me, her green eyes shining like emeralds, Eve telling me she loves me, filling this old fucked up heart of mine with glory as if I've conquered the world.

I don't know if I'm sleeping or I'm awake when the flight attendant announces our landing and I glare at Lucas, waiting for him to wake up but he doesn't move so I stand up and shake his arm lightly.

"Lucas... Come on, wake up, bro. We're landing," I tell him, and he sighs deeply, coming around from his sleep.

He sits up and pushes my hand away.

"Don't touch me," he mumbles, running his hands over his face, and pushing the sleep away.

"Get over it, Lucas," I scold him.

"Fuck you!" he replies, not very convinced.

"Fuck you too, brother," I pay him back and our eyes meet, glued to each other's faces, and there, right there, I see the brother I've always had in him.

"Come on, buckle up. We have a long day ahead," I continue, and I take my own seat, fasting my seatbelt.

We land soon after, three black SUVs waiting for us on the runaway with Alex welcoming us.

"Brother..." he greets, hugging me strongly and patting my back. Then he shakes hands with Lucas next.

"Alex, this Lucas Tate, the..." I make the introductions but I'm proved there's no need.