Chapter | Forty-two 🔞

        Enzo drove us to my home, knowing exactly where it was and not asking me for directions even once

He held my hand in his, propped on his right thigh, gripping the steering wheel with the other while keeping his eyes like steel glued to the road.

I smirk with a huff, breaking the silence between us.

He shifts his eyes to me with a smile on the corner of his lips.

"What?" he asks.

"You're just driving in the wrong direction," I say, teasing him.

"No, I'm not," he replies confidently, totally oblivious to the prank I've played on him, but seconds later he shakes his head and smiles, lifting my hand to his lips, peppering light kisses.

"You're smart, kid," he mumbles partly proud, partly embarrassed to have fallen to my prank so easily.

Now imagine that. A mafia Don in his glory, old enough to be my father played by a kid. I love that in him. I love the way he is sheepishly acting when peeled off of his Don skin which unfortunately doesn't last for long, putting it on again.

"Eve, you need to know I can't risk..." he says, but I don't want to hear it.

I curl my arms around his neck and kiss him on his cheek.

"Enzo, let's not talk about it," I ask him in a whispered, sensual voice, and I feel the muscles of his shoulders tensing.

"We have to talk about it, Eve. I... need to talk about it," he cuts me short.

"Well, I don't," I reply, pouting and retrieving back into my seat, looking out on the window, and hoping he won't insist.

"I loved your mother, a long time ago, before you were..."

"I don't want to hear about it!" I spit.

"Eve..."

"No!" I shout at him, piercing my angry eyes in his.

He sighs and keeps silent for the rest of the drive, chewing his jaws in tensed moves.

When he parks the car in front of my house, I jump out and walk in without gracing him a word or a look.