That Night

Valentine’s Day, the worst time of year for me, I’m a single teen girl sitting at Pop’s surrounded by couples going on a small date only to lead to a life changing one. It was annoying actually, I just broke up with my ex boyfriend, Jughead Jones. He told me to leave like everyone else did because he was broken, never got the memo I guess. That led to me crying in a back booth of Pop’s on a rainy Valentine’s night. Great, just great.

    My tears were soon replaced by remorse without tears. I had to walk alone in the dark, in the rain. I exited the iconic dinner to head to the house of horrors that I call home, I can’t stand my own room now because of all the memories of waking up next to a certain boy, that I LOVED might I add. I pulled out my earbuds to cancel out the thoughts of him. Then one of my favorite songs came on and the temptation to sing it was unbearable.

When I got to my porch I sighed at the flood of memories of me and him on this exact spot. I had to get to my room quickly if I didn’t want my mom to see the tears, she was never one with emotions other than anger. I opened the door with my keys and rushed upstairs without a word. I shut my door and slid down it in tears, my hand covering my mouth. I cried for what felt like hours, my knees found themselves to my chest, my hands soon in my hair, tugging at it in self hatred. Then there was a knock at my window, I just ignored it thinking it was just me imagining things. I just cried harder when I heard HIS knock, the knock he came up with so I knew it was him.

“Stop! Betty, just stop” I said to myself.

It was dark in both my room and outside but I knew my window opened, I heard feet rushing to my side then the sudden familiarity of Jug’s hug. My crying didn’t stop, and I didn’t want it to stop, why? Because if I did I would either be faced with Jug, or I’ll realize he wasn’t even there.

“Betty? Hey Betty? Please look at m-me? P-please?” His voice was breaking.

I did what he asked and I saw my Juggie, no, not mine, not anymore. With this thought my tears came back and my head was now back to its original position.

“B-betty, I made a h-horrible decision o-on breaking up with you, you didn’t w-want to leave like the others did, y-you don’t see m-me as a broken l-little boy. P-please Betty, f-forgive me, I never wanted to hurt you” I felt his tears on my shoulder, he continued “P-please take me back, I c-can’t do anything w-w-without you anymore. I-i was such an i-idiot to d-do that to y-you. I love y-you so much, I n-need you, please Betty, p-please”

That’s when I hugged him back, then he kissed me, and I kissed back. Even though he was the one who caused the hurt, he was the only one who could take it away.

“I know it’s Valentine’s Day, so I brought you something” he whispered his forehead against mine.

I giggled, I looked at my desk and saw roses and a teddy bear. To this day I look back on that night, years and years later I still have the small teddy bear. I love the man who got me it even more though.