Loneliness

The smell of the bunker got back into his nostrils the moment Betty shut the hatch on it, her smell of vanilla and flowers leaving with her. The only things accompanying the beanie-wearing boy were his computer, non-perishable foods, to-go coffee cups, the decor in the bunker that screamed G and G obsessed, the investigation board, and his clothing. He sighed suddenly feeling like whatever he did it would be the same as yesterday and the day before, a constant, monotonous, routine. The only things that seemed to entertain him were the things Betty told him about what it was like outside the bunker, things at school, how his dad and sister were doing, and how they were planning his funeral. He hoped that he would be able to get the investigation finished before the set date of the funeral, he honestly didn’t like the idea of his dad paying for a funeral that was just pointless. Not only that, if they decide on an open casket he would have to lay there for hours and try not to make obvious breathing movements. It was just torturous, taking down the preppies was harder than trying to get the highest number of laps on the pacer test (or beep test).

     Jughead sighed when he finished some research, he’s gotten Betty to get him some of the school assessments so when he does get back he’s not too far behind. He closed the computer a little harshly but not enough to damage it, he ran his hands down his face. No matter how many times he’s said he was a loner he still enjoyed being around people, specifically his friends and Betty, especially Betty. He checked the time on the watch Betty got him, it was around 4 o’clock which means school is done on the day, he was looking forward to Betty coming back, it was always the highlight of his day, before and during this specific investigation. He plopped down on the cot and grabbed the bag of chips laid on it and popped a few chips in his mouth. When he heard the creaking and thump of the bunker hatch opening and closing he knew Betty was back.

“Hey, Betty?”

“Yeah Jug?” She responded.

“I’m lonelyyyyy” he said, dragging the ‘y’.

“I know baby I know,” she said as she laid down next to him.

“Can you stay here tonight?”

“Aww baby, you know I can’t do that”

“Can’t you say you're at Veronica’s?” he said, giving her a pouty look.

“I can’t, Veronica has to ‘hate’ me, remember?”

“What about Kevin?”

“I don’t know honey”

“Please, please, please Betty?” He started sounding desperate, he knew Betty couldn’t resist for much longer.

“Oh alright” she sighed “I’ll be right back okay, I just need to get somethings”

“Okay,” he said, sounding slightly sad that she still had to leave.

“I’ll be right back”

She quickly got out of the bunker to her house, packed some clean clothes for both of them, and ran as fast as she could back. Jughead just spent this time staring at the ceiling of the bunker, making dramatic sighs every so once and a while. He scrabbled up and to the bottom of the ladder when he heard her come down the ladder. When she got to the bottom Jughead threw the duffel bag full of food and clothes to the side somewhere and grabbed Betty and ran to the cot. He laid her and himself down and nuzzled his face in her chest (a/n not in a sexual way, more like “awwww it’s so fucking cute Imma squeal so loud I’ll break glass” sort of thing), she giggled at his actions and gently stroked his hair until both of them fell asleep.