Lemon Boy

Jughead Jones was always sort of sour, he didn’t like people and people didn’t like him. The only person he tolerated was Archie, that was mainly out of pity for the redhead’s stupidity. That was until he actually met Betty, through Archie of course, but nevertheless he met her. She knew about Jughead’s attitude, so after a while of knowing the boy she nicknamed him “lemon boy” with the occasional “beanie boy”, but it was mostly lemon boy. Jughead grew a weird feeling once 6th grade hit, almost a year after he met Betty. He started blushing and fidgeting around Betty, not only that the boy who once was able to form sentences so extravagant that people would suspect him living on the Northside, but around the blonde he could barely say a single word without blushing and stuttering.

For a while it was great for Jughead, he thought he had a chance, sadly that wasn’t going to happen. At least not now. In 7th grade Betty told Jughead about her crush on Archie.

“Oh Juggie, it’s all so weird” she sighed, feeling the new sensation of having a crush.

“Is it” Jughead replied bluntly, looking at her trying to hide the hurt he was feeling.

“I don’t understand it though, I also like this other boy. Is it possible to have two crushes at the same time?” Betty questioned.

Great, just fucking great, she not only likes Archie, she also like this mystery guy, Jughead thought.

“Well which one do you like more?” He asked, slightly curious.

“I’m not sure yet, Archie is sweet and caring, but then again he is kinda an idiot, but the other guy he’s more complicated, at first he’s a jerk, anti-social like, but once I got to know him he was just… ugh I don’t know how to explain it!”  She practically yelled in the diner “he’s just so nice, adorable, funny, ahhhhhh, I don’t know anymore!”

Jughead sighed, he honestly felt like crying. But as dad tends to yell at him, “A MAN DOSEN’T CRY, HE TAKES IT!”, that was all that was going through his head. Don’t cry, and maybe he was a little too old for that, but it really did hurt him when Betty told him this stuff.

“Sounds like you like guy number two more” he sighed, taking a sip of his milkshake to stop himself from sobbing.

“Yeah, I guess” Betty smirked.

When they got into their junior year, Jughead might have gotten more anti-social, after the fourth of july when Archie ditched him for some odd reason. But during all of this time she figured she had to do something about her crushes, something most girls in school wouldn’t even try. She was scared that she would run out of time, that one would walk out of her life and not even look back, she was mainly concerned for one though. All of these thoughts were going through her head over and over and over again all day. That is until the death of Jason really got her curious, what was truly happening. She figured that figuring this out would keep her mind off of things, especially the fact that Jughead seemed to be acting weird, Archie was starting to be secretive, Polly was gone, her dad was oddly quiet, and her mom was getting more and more overbearing, reaching past the title of a helicopter mom.

Everything was fine for a while, but then her mind spiraled when she discovered more about what her mom and dad were hiding. Pacing in her room wasn’t really helping like she thought it would. Jughead was also pacing around in his temporary home, he was stressing. Doing this investigation with Betty was seriously messing with him, if his feelings for her weren’t bad before they certainly were now.

You know what? Fuck it, let’s got and tell her! Nothing bad could happen right? Fuck, fuck, fuck! His thoughts were taking over, he subconsciously grabbed his beanie and coat and ran to Betty’s. He looked for ways he could get in without having to deal with the she-devil known as Alice Cooper, her dad was okay it was just Alice. He found a ladder that was laid down close to where Betty’s window was.

Fuck yeah! I guess lucks on my side for once. His eyebrows furrowed slightly at the thought. He placed the ladder underneath Betty’s window, he climbed it as fast as he could but stopped mid-way.

Oh hey, you remember that one thing Betty told us when we were kids, yeah when she said she liked two guys. Well the description of door number two sounds hella familiar, dosen’t it you absolute fucking idiot? Jughead sighed in disappointment in his 13 year old self. He should have noticed this small yet vital detail, this is also that drove him to get to Betty like right now. He once again rushed up the ladder and knocked on Betty’s window.

Well you know the rest of the story, he kissed her, putting everything he had in that kiss actually. Lemon Boy soon was sweet, that is only to Betty. Betty no longer worried about the issue of running out of time, running out of love, running out of him, period. He needed her as much as she needed him, over the years both of their motivation and dreams grew. Especially on Jughead, the doubts of him becoming a good author diminished the longer him and Betty have been together. It no longer mattered, they were so high off each other's love made them think they were going to live forever, and truthfully they weren’t wrong. People used to ask Betty how she could possibly be friends with someone like him, or even love someone like him, she always replied with “it’s actually pretty easy” along with a shrug. He was her lemon boy, and she loved him for it.

(a/n Sup peoples, okay so the song is about freindship but whenever I hear it I just think of Jughead so I had this idea of it being about hima nd Betty. As well as the fact that since Jughead was born in October he is older than Betty, so Betty is 16 and Jughead is 17 but when he kisses Betty he is still 16. I hope that's not to confusing... -S)