Pen

When the cries of my son were heard in the hospital room my own tears started forming. Betty was still clenching my hand when the nurse gave our son to Betty after he was cleaned, Betty was full on sobbing. When our son finally opened his eyes he smiled, his eyes were such a bright blue/green color. The little hair on his head was a deep brown color, almost like a mix of mine and Betty’s hair colors.

“Hi there little four” Betty said with a smile, looking exhausted.

“What?”

She looked at me with her tired eyes and sighed.

“Forsythe Pendleton Jones the fourth”

My eyes grew wide with surprise, she looked up at me once more and giggled at my expression.

“We’ll figure out his nickname as time goes on” she sighed.

*Time skip: Pen is 3, he still doesn’t have his nickname yet*

“Momma! Pen!” The little Jones yelled.

“It’s a crayon buddy,” Betty said.

“Nuh uh, pen!” He giggled “Pen, pen, pen, pen” he yelled.

“Crayon” Betty sighed, still focusing on dinner.

“Nuh uh!”

Betty looked down at our son, who was tugging at her shirt.

“Pen!” The little boy said once more, pointing at himself.

Betty’s eyes grew wide when she realized what he was doing. He was calling himself ‘Pen’, he wasn’t talking about his crayons. For a while he had been referring to himself as ‘baby’, not he just gave himself a nickname.

“Betty, did he just call himself ‘Pen’?” I asked, my own eyes grew wide.

“I think so, okay, okay, umm whose this?” Betty asked our son while pointing at herself.

“Momma”

“Whose that?” She asked, pointing to me.

“Dadda”

“Whose that?” She asked one last time, pointing at our baby.

“Pen!” He giggled.

“Jug this is great!”

“Why is he calling himself ‘Pen’ though?” I asked.

    “It might be because we’ve been calling him by his middle name, he might be trying to say it” she said, still smiling at our son.

  “Hey Pendleton?” I called from where I was standing.

He didn’t look at me, I tried once more. Still no answer, that confirmed what I thought.

“Hey Pen?” I asked, this time I got a reaction.

“Ye dadda?” He asked looking up towards me.

I smirked and shook my head, the kid was smart. He gave himself a nickname, based on what he heard and liked.

*Time skip: Pen’s 12, he asked Jughead about his birth and how he got his nickname*

“So what you're telling me is that I gave myself my nickname?”

“Yep”

“Although you were calling yourself Pen for a while before me and your mom understood, we were just thinking that you meant crayons because you’ve seen me use my red, blue, and black pens”

“Damn, this is weird”

“Your mom figured you acted the way you did that day because you figured out that we thought you meant crayons, not what you were actually saying”

“Sheesh”

(a/n Soooo, this one is more like father son stuff, not really Bughead. But I had been imagining Pen's nickname origin, and him coming up wiht it himself just made sense -S)