Like Father, Like Son

Age: 5

Jughead’s chubby 5 year old hands held the coneflowers he found growing near his trailer, they were yellow. Yellow is Betty’s favorite color, her mom claims that it’s pink, but Betty told him herself that it was yellow. Earlier after recess he gave her a note saying to see him in their spot near Sweetwater River. He waited patiently for her, sitting on the large rock near the river. When he heard the little crunches of the leaves under her shoes he perked up, trying to look the best for the only girl in his class that he actually liked. His expression brightened when she walked towards him smiling.

“Hi Juggie” she giggled.

“H-hi Betts” he said, completely flustered.

“What did you want to tell me?” She asked the boy.

“O-oh umm… I found these b-by my t-trailer and they r-reminded me of y-you” he replied, offering her the yellow flowers.

She looked at him and the flowers with complete admiration.

“Awww, Juggie you remembered!” She said taking the flowers from him, placing one in his hair.

She kissed his cheek and sat down next to him. He sat there blushing like a maniac, lightly touching the place where she kissed him. He already decided he was either one, never washing his cheek again, or two, constantly making Betty happy for more kisses. Despite their age they sat there in comfortable silence, she would occasionally play with his hair and he would hold her hand tight. When they knew it was time to leave she kissed him on the cheek again and he perked up once more, the rest of the day he didn’t take the flower out of his hair and made sure his mom didn’t clean his cheek.

Years and years later, at the age of 21 the two got married and at the age of 23 they had their first son. Forsythe Pendleton Jones IV, a.k.a Pen, he was a lot like his father. His crush at this age was Violet Andrews, Archie and Veronica’s daughter. On the fence behind their house there grew purple flowers, and one day he saw them and picked a few, knowing that purple was her favorite color. He ran to her treehouse that her dad made her and climbed up the ladder.

“Hi Pen!” She said cheerily.

“H-hi Vi” he replied, like his father before him, blushing like a maniac.

“What’s that?” She asked pointing to the arm he placed behind his back.

“Oh, w-well, I-i found these flowers b-by my h-house and they umm… they reminded me of you” he answered, handing the flowers to her.

“Oh Pen, these are so pretty!” She exclaimed, smelling the purple flowers.

She kissed his cheek and placed one in his hair, his blush increased. They went and sat down at one of the large branches and watched the clouds together. When it was time to go back inside Pen ran home, being careful to keep the flower in his hair.

“Mommy!” He yelled at the top of his lungs.

Betty rushed to the front door, worried that Pen might be hurt.

“Is everything okay?” She asked, worried.

“Everything is so, so, so, great”

When Betty noticed the purple flower in her son’s hair she smiled. It sort of felt like déjà vu, she knew that look all too well.

“So what happened then?”

“Earlier I found purple flowers and they reminded me of Violet so I, so I ran allllllll the way to her tree house and gave them to her and, and she put one in my hair!” He said, telling the story in a child ranting way.

“Oh really?”

“Yep!” He beamed, the same smile staying on his face.

*Time skip: Jughead’s home from work, it’s after dinner right now*

“Pen let me clean your cheek!” Betty yelled as she chased the boy around the kitchen island.

“Nooooooooo” he whined.

Jughead walked into the kitchen wondering about all the commotion. Only to see his wife chasing his son around with a wet wipe in hand.

“Betty? What’s going on here?” He asked, leaning against the entryway to the kitchen.

“Pen won’t let me clean his cheek, and it’s only the one” she said exhaustedly.

“Pen?” Jughead said, the boy stood to a halt.

“Yeah?” He replied, slightly yawning out of his own exhaustion.

“Why won’t you let mom wipe off your cheek?”

To this the boy’s eyes widened, his father looking at him with slight amusement. Pen quickly looked down at his feet and played with his fingers.

“V-violet kissed m-my cheek” he answered, his cheeks suddenly turning a darker shade than Cheryl’s lipstick.

“Of course, I know this situation all too well” Jughead chuckled.

“What?” Betty questioned.

“Remember when we were kids and I gave you those flowers and you kissed my cheek?”

“Yeah?” She asked, not completely getting it.

“Well after you kissed my cheek I refused to let my mom clean that certain cheek”

Betty repressed a laugh, but she couldn’t stop it for that long. Her laughing caused Jughead to blush at the embarrassment he had just caused himself. Betty on the other hand was laughing at the fact that her son and her husband were so much alike, it was, in her eyes, absolutely adorable. While his father and mother were, well hiding in embarrassment and laughing, he was able to sneak off, being able to escape his mom.

“What’s funny?” Jughead finally said, not as embarrassed.

Like father, like son, Juggie” she replied, catching her breath from the amount of laughing she had just done.

“Hpmh”

“Now, time to clean your face” Betty said, turning to where her son was supposed to be.

“Ummm… where's Pen?” Jughead said.

Betty squinted her eyes and ran up the stairs, heading to her son’s room. She tried to open the door but something was pressed up against it, preventing it from opening.

“Pen, let me clean your face! It’s dirty!”

Jughead rushed up the stairs moments later, wondering how this will all end.

“Nope! Uh-hu! Not going to happen!” Pen replied from the other side.

Jughead was trying to repress his laughter. Even though Pen was like his father in some ways, he had gained his mother’s persistence.

“Forsythe! Open this door!”

“Whyyyyyyy?” Pen whined.

Betty saying ‘Forsythe’ made both of the Jones boys jump, she didn’t like using the name. And the guys didn’t like the name, so if Betty said Forsythe to any of them they knew they were in true trouble. The youngest Jones slowly opened the door, peaking out to be sure his mom wasn’t too mad. He made a wide grin then bolted out of the door and down the stairs. He was giggling all through the house trying to avoid Betty.

“Jug! Help me!” Betty yelled

Jughead caught the boy and held him as Betty wiped his face clean of the rest of the spaghetti sauce.

“You have betrayed me!” Pen yelled “traitor!”

“Sorry bud, but if I hadn’t helped your mom, she would have my head”

“You two are extremely dramatic, you know that?” Betty stated, leaving to discard the wet wipe.

“Like you said Betty! Like father, like son” Jughead replied, before tickling the five year old, who was trying to escape his father.