Chess.

It was a difficult night in the Hospital Wing, Sirius shivered and sweated all night, his bandages frequently being reapplied, Bexley stayed by his side the entire night.

"Dear, don't you think you should change?" Madam Pomfrey suggested gently as she gestured to Bexley's bloody appearance.

"I don't want to leave, just in case he wakes up." She smiled sadly at her, but Madam Pomfrey let her be. Bexley leant forwards in her chair and cautiously held Sirius's hand. His chest heaved under his bandages and she wished it were her instead of him, she wished his childish grin would just return to his face and this was all a sick joke, she would scold him but eventually fall into his arms and all would be well in the world.

"How is he?" James settled in the seat opposite her.

"He still hasn't woken up, but Madam Pomfrey applied some herbs to his bandages, she thinks they'll work." James nodded in approval and sank into the chair. "What happened last night James?" She asked sincerely, her tired eyes meeting his apprehensive ones.

"I don't know. They had been arguing a lot recently and last night, we came up to the common room and they were shouting at each other."

"About what?" Bexley interrupted.

"I didn't ask, I just tried to split them up. Next thing I knew, Remus was running out and into the Forest and well, then this." He motioned to Sirius "I just found him lying there, I thought he was gone." James trembled at the idea.

"He's here. He's a fighter, he'll be around a lot longer to annoy us all." Quiet chuckles came from the two as they watched Sirius flinch in his sleep, Bexley squeezed his hand and took a damp towel to his forehead.

"Any sign of Remus?" James pondered.

"I've been here since last night. I was hoping he'd be with you guys."

"He'll be okay, Dumbledore probably found him." James nodded his head knowingly. "I see you've done some reading." He gestured to the tattered book on Sirius's beside.

Bexley thumbed the book and sighed "It says he won't transform, just have some altered characteristics."

"So steak rarer than usual?"

"Exactly." Bexley chuckled and cast her eye back over Sirius. You're going to wake up soon, I know it, she tried somehow to communicate with him, as if he could hear her thoughts, foolish of her of course but it comforted her in believing they were so connected that he was embedded in her brain.

"Good morning Mr Potter, Miss Morgan." Dumbledore glided to the end of Sirius's bed and the two turned to him. "Madam Pomfrey has informed me he's on the road to recovery."

"Have you seen Remus sir?" James interjected.

"Mr Lupin is at present getting some well-needed rest."

"Can we see him?" Bexley rose from her chair, only to be returned by Dumbledore's simple shake of the head.

"I think it wise we all have some time alone. In that regard, Mrs Black has requested Sirius return home today and for you Miss Morgan to chaperone whilst he is on the train, she doesn't like the idea of him being alone. She's eager to meet you, or so her letter says."

"Hmph, she had no trouble leaving him alone when he was a boy." James ground his teeth and clenched his knuckles.

"Quite Mr Potter, however, those are her wishes."

"But Professor, I- we, well" How could Bexley phrase it lightly that Sirius and herself were no longer an item and it would not be suited for her to return home with him.