Test subject.

The night drew on and Sirius was nowhere near to falling asleep. He looked to his side and Bexley laid peacefully, her hand outstretched resting on his bare chest, the simple act made his heart swell, how fragile she looked and that was partly down to him. Quickly, Sirius slid out from the bed and retrieved a book from Bexley's bag, placing her hand back on his chest he opened the book, ready to dive into another world, he was interrupted as a piece of parchment slipped from between the pages. Upon inspection, Sirius recognised the writing as Moony's curiosity flooded him as he unfolded the parchment and began to read. 

Bexley,

I didn't mean to hurt Sirius, you know I'd never do it purposely, yes things have been tense but I could never harm someone I loved, or so I thought. When you return from Hogwarts I believe it best we part ways, you aren't safe around me, I can't control myself and couldn't bare it if I hurt you. I know you won't believe me right now, but I am a monster. 

All my affections, Remus.

Sirius gripped the parchment tighter as he reread the words, over and over again. How wrong was this boy. If it was anyone's fault it's mine Sirius countered, he was the one who always began the fights with Remus, he put himself in danger that night and now Bexley was to pay for his actions. No, I can fix this, Sirius crumpled up the letter and threw it in the fire, as he watched the corners curl he turned to face Bexley he contrived a plan, he would speak to Moony, reason with him. If needs be, he would leave, Durmstrang wasn't that bad he lied to himself. 

"I'll protect you." Sirius mumbled in Bexley's hair as he held her hand, he finally fell asleep as the birds outside began to sing. 

***

It was a much more pleasant morning, whilst there was no sun, it wasn't misty or cold. Bexley pushed her face into the pillow as she began to stir, trying to fall back to sleep, she failed, grumbling she opened her eyes and looked out the window opposite her. Attempting to roll over, she felt Sirius clinging to her, turning her head, Sirius had his face nestled into her back and his arms wrapped around her waist and their fingers interlocked. The events of last night came flooding back, Bexley relaxed in his arms and brushed his knuckles with her thumb. He still left you her subconscious warned her, I shouldn't have lied she countered, we fought for him, we did but he still walked out that door and out of our life, well clearly not entirely out of our life. Pushing her pesky subconscious to the side, Bexley revelled in the warmth of Sirius, carefully rolling over to face him, Bexley tenderly ran her fingers through his hair, his eyes began to flutter open and something overcame him, the feeling of her hands on him told him it was okay to place a soft kiss on her lips. Pulling away wearily, he scanned Bexley's face for a sign, it was blank as she cupped his cheeks and kissed him back, it wasn't hungry and vehement, but yearning and delicate.

Sirius's hands ran up and down Bexley's back and it was calming and loving, it was what they needed. Well, Sirius thought they did. Bexley broke away from his lips and departed the sanctuary of the bed, picking up some clothes she entered the bathroom and began readying for the day. Sirius stared at the bathroom door in complete and utter confusion, as she emerged he sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed. 

"Did I do something wrong?" 

"No, but we aren't together. I shouldn't have kissed you back, I'm sorry. Come on, we have to finish off decorating for your birthday." Bexley's distant tone tortured him if only he could just get a peek inside her mind. With that Bexley had left the room and Sirius was alone, pondering on what the fuck just happened. As preparations for the next evening ramped up, Sirius was sure Bexley was avoiding him, every time he entered the ballroom she darted behind a pillar or pretended Regulus was calling for her. Something didn't sit quite right with Sirius, the apparent fondness of one another which had developed between Regulus and Bexley set his teeth on edge and when he came across Regulus in the library, he pulled him to the side.