Chapter 1

~Runnin'~

LANI POV

"SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME," I cried in desperation as I ran in the rain. It's a cold night to be running from two low life gangsters chasing me in the wild streets of New York. My vision has become blurry and I am soaked.

My body hurt and my feet are getting tired.

It's been over a week since I left California and made my way to New York.

My mother died in a fatal car accident when I was only fifteen, causing my stepfather to become abusive. I couldn't take it anymore. As soon as I turned eighteen which was February nineteenth I left.

You'd think New York would be better but right now it's really proving me wrong. What could they possibly want from me? I'm poor...

I turn my head only to see the men catching up and getting closer every second. I started to run faster and faster. The only thing that was keeping me alive was the rain. It gave me some sort of weird energy.

This is what I get for walking around in a rich neighborhood at night. I always go for walk. It's sad how a girl can't take a walk without being worried about some men chasing or trying to kidnap her. Men are hurting, chasing, kidnapping, and raping us for what reason?

Gosh, I just wanted some fresh air.

I was running so fast I didn't even notice the car coming. The car quickly comes to a stop nearly hitting me by an inch.

The person gets out of the car and walks towards me. I tried to catch my breath and say something but couldn't. I have been running for twenty minutes. I point towards the men who were chasing me and look over.

As he stood in front of me I couldn't help but blush. He was stunning. A 6-foot handsome man with bright sparkling grey eyes. I swear I know him from somewhere but with all that's going through my mind right now I can't seem to figure out who this mysterious man is.

The two creepy men quickly came rushing up to us but came to a stop when they saw the man I was with.

"Just hand her over and we won't have any problems," The largest one said.

"How about you get the fuck on and leave us alone before I kick your ass," said the mysterious man standing in front of me.

They laughed which even gave me more creeps.

What the fuck? Those men are big as hell. I backed up trying to get away as I was shocked by the threat this man just made. My breath was getting shorter and shorter and I started to have trouble breathing. The men even got closer.

"Move," Dummy number one yelled as he stormed up to us.

The mysterious man got closer and punched him in his face leaving him on the ground. I gasped, and my hands start shaking as he continued to beat the hell out of the other one leaving them bloody and running.

How much I underestimated this man. He definitely just blew my mind.

I started feeling dizzy and confused. I think I was having a panic attack and those never end well. The next thing I saw was black.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Next Morning...

I woke up in the most comfortable bed I have ever been in. That was the best sleep I have had in years. I finally opened my eyes to see that I wasn't in my room. I looked over and saw a clock. It's one in the afternoon. I'm late for work.