19 |The Things That Hurt Her|

Soham sat silently on the couch with his arms folded across his chest, waiting for Sanyukta to come home.

He was plotting on how he would get her back for that lunch prank she pulled on him with the help of their helper, Urmi.

"Soham baba you can't stay mad at me forever," Urmi spoke, bringing him a cup of water.

"You are supposed to be on my team Urmi and did you take rest today because it doesn't seem like you did."

Urmi looked on everything in the room expect at him as she bit her lip.

"You begged me not to give you maternity leave until you are 8 months and despite doing that you aren't taking care of yourself. This is the main reason I am mad at you." He took the cup from her and placed it on the table. "Go and get some sleep. I will bring you some food when you wake up."

Smiling at the man whom she has seen since his teen years, Urmi left the room and went upstairs to the guest room.

'Just let her come. She won't be spared. Sanyukta Soham Verma, you will be picking bird seeds out of your hair for days,' he thought to himself, rubbing his hands together mischievously.

Sanyukta walked inside smiling as she was waiting to see Soham's face.

"Well, well, look who decided to bless me with their presence," Soham spoke, smirking at her leaning back in the couch.

"I am guessing you enjoyed my little prank" She placed her bag on the couch, standing in front of him.

"Oh sweetheart I did enjoy it. And do you know what I will enjoy more?" She looked on him suspiciously as he got up and stood directly in front of her. "Your screaming face when you find these in your hair."

Dumping a whole bag of bird seeds in her hair along with the cup of water Urmi gave him, Soham laughed at her shocked face.

"Soham!" Yelling, she started to run after him with her fists ready to beat him up.

Soham laughed as she ran after him, her yelling music to his ears.

Running up the stairs and in her room, Sanyukta took off her heels to beat him with it instead of beating him up with her fists.

"Soham you can't escape me. You will die today."

"That is if you can catch me."

Suddenly, his phone rang.

She grabbed his shirt but stopped seeing him take out his phone.

"Yes dad?" he asked, seeing 'Rajveer papa' flash on the screen.

"T-This is not Rajveer sir, This is his driver, Mukesh. C-Can you please hand the phone over to Sanyukta beti if she is near you?"

Handing the phone over to her, she mouthed 'I will murder you later.'

"Dad's driver wants to talk to you," Soham said.

Taking the phone from him with her right hand, she put her heels on the floor. "Yes Mukesh kaka."

"B-Beti, sir met with a c-car accident."

Hearing those words made the world slip from under her feet. She felt her body shaking, her heart pounding against her chest and herself staggering back.

"W-What!"

It was like whatever happened 22 years ago was repeating itself.

The phone fell from her hand, tears running down her cheeks like a river with no end and a fearful feeling of losing her other parent rushing through her body.