V - FRUIT OF THE POISONED TREE

   In the living room, Rebekah walks in to find her brothers sat on opposite couches, each with a open book in their hands. The body of dead girl laid on the coffee table between them, blood dripping from the wound on her neck to the floor, classical music playing from the stereo. Crossing her arms across her chest, Rebekah walked closer, looking between the pair in disbelief.

   "So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family?" She raised a brow. "Vampire book club?"

   Klaus didn't glance up from the page he was reading. "Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?"

   "Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah agreed, turning the page of the grimoire in his hands. 

   "And what's this business?" The blonde nodded to the dead body. 

   Elijah finally glanced up, his eyes flickering from his sister to the body of the girl. "This is a..." He gestures, searching for the word with a frown. "...peace offering."

   Klaus sighed slightly. "I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

   "And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth." Elijah said with annoyance in his tone, as Klaus rolled his eyes with guilt. "Not this nonsense." He waved off. 

   "Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" The original hybrid defended, a grin tugging at his lips. 

   Taking a deep breath, Rebekah gritted her teeth and scowled. "Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet."

   Elijah glanced up as she stormed out, looking to see the blood dropping onto the floor. "Ah, yes." He nodded.

   Audrey blinked as she walked in, glancing at Rebekah who walked past her into the kitchen, a seething look on her face. "Do I want to know?" She asked, noticing the dead body laid across the table.

   "Not particularly." Elijah looked up with a smile, closing the book and taking her hands as she walked in front of him. Gently, he pulled her closer, their lips meeting in a soft kiss. "Did you sleep okay?" He asked when he reluctantly pulled away.

   "Best I've slept in months." Audrey said honestly, the smile she wore making his own grow. "I'm going to get some breakfast." She hummed, pecking his lips once more before she left to the kitchen, Elijah's eyes not leaving her till she was out of sight. 

   "Hey." Hayley smiled at her, the Marshall girl standing in front of the open fridge as Audrey walked in. "Listen, I know you and I are the only ones in this house that actually drink milk, but would kill anyone to make sure it's on the grocery list?"