XXIII - ALIVE AND KICKING

   Audrey had to take a moment when she walked down into the courtyard, instantly spotting the trail of blood that was on the ground. Her eyes followed the direction it led in, seeing the bloody body of a woman propped up against the fountain. Taking a deep breath, she averted her eyes back to the blood trail, noticing how the blood started a wolf prints then changed into human footprints the further it went. Following the direction the footprints led in, Audrey paused as she came to the open bathroom door, finding yet another body left carelessly on the ground. 

   "Come to check up on me?" Hayley asked in a bored tone, laid soaking in a bubbled filled bath. 

   "Hungry, by any chance?" She raised a brow at her. 

   Hayley just smirked as she turned the water off, laying further back in the tub comfortably. "I was having a crappy day, so Klaus took me out to the cauldron." She informed her. "Wouldn't you know, we ran into some witches!"

   "I see." The Gilbert girl nodded, sarcasm clear in her voice. "So I take it you're saving these--" She gestured to the body as she stepped over it. "--for later?"

   Rolling her eyes, Hayley got to her feet, not making any attempt to cover her body as she did so. Audrey just rolled her own eyes, grabbing the closest towel and tossing it to her. "Oh, don't judge, Rey." She brushed off, wrapping herself up. "What I did is no worse than anything Klaus has ever done."

   "And while that might be true, Klaus isn't exactly the example you should go by." She shot back at her in disbelief.

   "I'm a hybrid now, and I have a werewolf temper to go with my new appetite." The Marshall girl reminded her as she stepped closer. "And the witches who tried to kill my baby, and have made it clear they'll try to do the same to yours, are worth nothing more than food." She said bluntly, a cold tone to her voice. "Excuse me." She then muttered, scooting past her and out of the room.

   With an exasperated sigh, Audrey left the room to find Elijah, filling him in on what happened. He wasn't impressed by the information, and instantly went to find Klaus, who looked like he had expected the lecture that was coming.

   "You took her on a witch hunt?" Elijah narrowed his eyes on his brother.

   "I simply wanted to persuade those witches to locate the white oak stake for me." Klaus defended simply. "When they proved unable to do so, I let Hayley have her fun."

   "She grows more savage by the day." The eldest of the two snapped. "Can you not see that she is falling apart?"

   "Perhaps the problem is your high standards?" He argued, earning a look from the doppelganger. "Hayley is one of us now. Being a vampire only exaggerates what you truly are, and wolves are wild things. Your judgement only hurts her more."

   "It's not judgement." Audrey gave him an unimpressed look. "We're trying to help her, Nik. We asked you to help her!"

   Klaus rises to his feet angrily. "I am helping her!" He snapped. "You should have seen her last night! Covered in witches blood and smiling from ear to ear! She is embracing this." He emphasized. "A little less criticism from you two, and Hayley will be just fine."