XXVI - RED DOOR

   "Like, seriously? He can't just waltz back here after everything he has done, and dump his new vampire girlfriend on me to babysit!" Caroline ranted in annoyance, as Audrey listened to her vent quietly. "And he had the nerve to say that it was my fault! I'm sorry, Stefan, but no it's not. It is your mess, and I wouldn't have came to Savannah in the first place, if you didn't lie and picked up the damn phone!"

   Audrey was paying attention to her, but her mind kept glancing to the bedroom door, hoping Elijah would walk in at any moment. He didn't join them at the loft last night, and thinking he'd probably been distracted by Klaus or something else, the Gilbert girl gave into the idea of going back to the compound for the night. Audrey didn't remember when she had fallen asleep, but he wasn't there when she woke up, no signs he'd joined her at all and just left before she woke up. His side of the bed was still made and untouched, and she had no message or calls from him, which was sending her mind into overdrive thinking about what could be going on.

   But she didn't overreact, leaving him a message telling him to call her, before she started getting ready for the day. She was slightly disappointed when her phone rang and it wasn't him, but Caroline's call was keeping her distracted, and stopping her from jumping to irrational conclusions. 

   "Well, how long as he left her with you for?" She asked.

   "A couple of hours." Caroline answered. "Apparently, a couple of hours and then I'll never have to deal with him again."

   Audrey made a face, very easily picking up on her tone. She knew Caroline well, and she knew she only used that voice when she was unsure on what she wanted. "Isn't that a good thing?"

   "Well, yeah." The Forbes girl muttered. "I guess, I just-- ugh!" She let out in frustration. "Damon and Bonnie died, and he just disappeared, you know? And all this time I thought...I don't know what I thought." 

   "You know you're not alone, right?" Audrey told her softly. Over the last couple of months, Caroline and Audrey had been keeping each other updating on what was happening. From Caroline telling her about what happened to Damon and Bonnie, to Audrey telling her she was pregnant. Everything seemed to be constantly changing for both of them, and with everything Caroline was having to deal with, Audrey hated that she wasn't with her. "There is always going to be a place for you here, if you wanted."

   "I'm fine." The blonde assured her. "I've enrolled back at Whitmore, I've moved back into the dorm. No more looking back, just moving forward." She said confidently, before clearing her throat. "Hey, did you get the packages I sent you?"

   Audrey rolled her eyes, glancing to the corner of the room, where the multiple large packages from Caroline were currently stored. Each one filled with different baby gifts. "Didn't we have a conversation about going overboard?"