XXXIV - I LOVE YOU, GOODBYE

   It was dark as Cami drove the car back into town, the two women knowing they needed to get hold of Klaus somehow. While Audrey's mind was worrying about Elijah, she was trying to push it down, knowing right now they needed to focus on what they needed to do next. As Cami drove, Audrey leaned back and gently rocked Hope's car seat, trying to soothe the little girl as she cried. 

   "It's okay, sweetheart." She said softly, glancing forward as Cami pulled them into a gas station. "It's all going to be okay. We just need to make a quick phone call, okay?"

   "Here." Cami handed Audrey some change. "I'll calm Hope down, you make the call."

   Nodding, the Gilbert girl got out of the car and headed toward the payphone. Things had suddenly gone from fine to a disaster, and the million thoughts running through her mind were driving her crazy. She paused and took a deep breath, resting her hand on her stomach as she a familiar flutter, which had been growing stronger since that first time she ever felt it. "It's okay, baby." She whispered, rubbing her hand soothingly over her bump. "Everything is going to be okay." She froze as she rustling nearby, and narrowed her eyes as she looked around carefully. "Whoever it is, you've picked a really bad night to mess with me." She warned bravely, feeling the last of the patients she had wearing thin. "I swear, try anything and I will rip you apart!"

   "Actually, my love." A familiar voice spoke up from behind, relief flooding through Audrey as she turned to face him. "That's probably not necessary."

   The coins dropping from her hand to the ground, Audrey quickly moved over into his hand, not caring the state of his burnt and ash covered clothing. Elijah's arms wrapped around her tightly, kissing the top of her head as he held her. "You're okay."

   "I am." He assured, stroking his hand through her hair. "However, I'm afraid the same can't be said for Finn."

   "Finn?" She repeated in disbelief. "Elijah, what the hell happened back there?"

   "That is a discussion for the car." He said, as he quickly yet gently ushered her in that direction. "Let's move."

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   After Elijah got hold of Klaus, explaining the situation, he told the four to come back to New Orleans. With Hayley and Jackson's wedding set to happen that day, he decided the compound was the safest place for Hope, as soon they'd have an army of werewolves answering to Hayley. An army that they could get to protect their daughter, which would give them the start of a solution to their Finn problem, though they still needed to figure out what body he'd jumped into after the explosion. With the wedding happening soon, Audrey went upstairs to shower and change, the shower welcoming and comforting after the night she'd experienced. It felt strange, being back in New Orleans after being away so long, but there was also a sense of feeling at home. As she got herself changed into the dress she picked out, her eyes scanned the bedroom, smiling as she caught sight of the familiar pile of baby gifts from Caroline. It had been a while since she'd heard from the Forbes girl, but she why. Liz Forbes was sick, and she wasn't going to get any better, despite how desperately Caroline had tried to find a solution for her.