LII - A GHOST ALONG THE MISSISSIPPI

   Audrey stood by the desk in the study, watching as Klaus paced up and down, a mixture of fury and worry on his face. It appeared, despite how happy everyone had been after being able celebrate the holiday together, it had been ruined. Cami had died during the night, compelled by Aurora to slit her throat during the night and bleed out silently, Klaus finding her body cold and lifeless beside him when he woke. Though it looked like she was gone, the full extent of what Aurora had done came to light, when the blonde gasped awake in transition. 

   Aurora had compelled her to drink her blood before she died. 

   As Cami cleaned herself up in the bathroom, Audrey was trying to get Klaus to calm down, knowing him in this state wasn't what Cami needed.

   "How is she?" Elijah asked as he walked into the room, taking off his coat.

   "She has just risen from the dead. As soon as she feeds, her mood will change for the better." Klaus answered quietly, before the worry on his face turned into just fury, his voice rising. "In the meantime, these attacks need to be answered! Our retribution must be swift, and it must be brutal!"

   "I'm with Klaus on this." Audrey said honestly. "They can't get away with what they've done. Aurora especially."

   "Agreed." Elijah nodded calmly. "After the Serratura has been recovered." He let out a deep, worried sigh. "Freya's pendant is also missing."

   The Mikaelson hybrid just rolled his eyes. "And Finn's mystical essence along with it. So let the imbecile stay lost!" He snapped. "Our business for today is to finish off the de Martels!"

   "Now, brother, think. Think." Elijah urged him. "Tristan needs the most powerful witch in the city to activate that weapon. A Regent."

   "Vincent." Klaus sneered in realization, and began to storm toward the door. "Who was once possessed by Finn."

   Elijah grabbed his younger brother by the arm, stopping him in his tracks. "Stay here." He told him firmly, giving him a look. "She'll need you, brother." He turned toward the door to leave himself, pausing as he looked at Audrey. "My love--"

   "I know." She nodded, knowing what he was thinking. While Klaus looked after Cami, someone needed to be there to keep an eye on him. "I've got it, go."

   He nodded and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'll be back soon." He promised before he left.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Audrey sat numb on the couch in the courtyard, clutching the letter in her hand, as Freya stood beside her with tears falling. As Klaus talked Cami through her options, and took her home to get some things that she needed, Freya and Audrey stayed behind to keep an eye on things there. They'd just gotten Hope and Mira down for a nap when it arrived, and the pair had been in silence ever since. Footsteps approached, and soon enough Elijah and Vincent appeared in sight, Elijah picking up on the looks on their faces instantly.