XIX - A WALK CLOSER WITH THEE

   Rousseau's was full when Elijah and Audrey joined Klaus, everyone gathering for Father Kieran's Irish style wake that Cami was hosting. People from all of the factions had came to pay their respects,  and the couple found Klaus sat alone in one of the bath booths, making his way through a bottle of scotch with ease. 

   A glum look rested on his face, as Elijah took the bottle to pour himself a glass. "Seems rather uncivilized to laugh and dance around the body of loved one." Klaus muttered, draining the last of his glass.

   "It's Irish tradition." Audrey reminded him. "It's meant to honor the honor the deceased."

   "Still uncivilized." He said bluntly.

   "Yes, far better to practice your process of grief, Niklaus-- denial, rage, and hoarding coffins in basements." Elijah mused. Klaus just ignored them both and poured another drink, as Elijah and Audrey glanced at one another, debating if to question his current attitude or not. Hayley joined them at that moment, sliding into the empty seat beside Audrey. "I will warn you, Hayley, Niklaus is in a spectacularly foul mood today."

   Klaus gave his older brother a flat look. "Sod off."

   Hayley didn't care about his mood, lowering her voice as she leaned closer across the table. "What's the deal with these moonlight rings? Oliver's trying to set a revolution every five seconds. People are scared, angry, and frankly, I'm tired of stalling."

   "It's a day of peace, Hayley." Klaus told her. "Try and enjoy it. And, in the meantime, with all manner of unknown enemies conspiring against our family, you'll move back in with us."

   The Marshall wolf gave a sarcastic smile. "Awesome! Then, we can do that thing where you lock me in the tower, Audrey gets made my babysitter once again, I escape, there's drama, and then you two both realize I'm very capable of looking after myself."

   "Hmm, let's not forget the part where I end up getting pulled into your escape attempts." Audrey piped up. "That's always a fun experience."

   "The rings are in progress." Klaus began, frustration clear in his voice. "I will live up to my word. We will find and punish whoever launched the attack on the Bayou, and you will return to the compound for your own safety!" Hayley sighs and rolls her eyes. "But, right now--" He grabs the bottle of scotch. "--I'm gonna finish this bottle--" He pauses as he twists the cap off. "--and the next, in the hopes of drowning the demon who has chosen today to haunt me." He raises the bottle up as his eyes glance upwards. "Cheers, Mikael. Impeccable, Freudian timing." He toasts bitterly, and chugs straight from the bottle.

   The Gilbert girl stared at him, his words sinking in. "Did you just say Mikael?" She repeated in disbelief.

   Elijah looked just as stunned. "Elaborate." He orders, Hayley looking between the three in concern. "Have you dreamt of our father?"