XLV - I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL OR NEW ORLEANS

   Both Elijah and Audrey stood in Klaus's study, listening to his words as he sat behind his desk. With Freya confirming the prophetic witch's visions to be true, they were trying to decipher who the prophecy was eluding to, so they could take care of the problem before it all came to pass. Which was leading to the brothers to dig up some old memories, mostly of Lucien, the very first person that Klaus ever turned. 

   "My memories of Lucien go back to a time our family was happy. Things were good... Or, as good as things could be as a vampire hiding in plain sight. Everyone in Marseilles was held in thrall of the Count's arrogant son Tristan and his sister, the Lady Aurora. In hindsight, I could have done more to prevent what was to follow. But then, even an endless life cannot be played in reverse." He mused thoughtfully, leaning forward in his seat. "And, given the circumstances, Lucien qualifies as both friend and foe, and according to Freya's prophecy--"

   "--You are to beware both friend and foe." Elijah cut him off with a nod. "But, let us not forget family, Niklaus."

   Klaus gave him a look at the insinuation, before merely shrugging it off. "Lucien's two out of three-- I say we put him down. Just like old times."

   "Just like old times?" Elijah repeated drolly. "Brother, I wonder who among our family do you suppose has the greatest predilection for betrayal?"

   "Brother, please." Klaus began in frustration.

   "Don't you think we should be absolutely sure and not just go with the best guess?" Audrey suggested, crossing her arms. "Given the consequences if we get this wrong, I'd rather we're certain."

   "As would I." Elijah nodded in agreement. "Now, before we murder Lucien, there are certain questions that need to be answered. Chiefly, what is he doing here?" Klaus didn't argue with that, looking toward his brother curiously. "And the wolf venom...Why would he lie to you, his sire? I'm afraid we may have to resort to something deliciously medieval here, brother."

   "We?" The Original hybrid smirked. "I take it you will lower yourself to associate yourself with your bastard brother?" He gets to his feet, as Elijah gave him an unreadable smile. "Have you finally forgiven me?"

   "I will consider it...." Elijah began, causing Klaus to smile until he sees the smile completely disappear from Elijah's face. "When Audrey forgives you, Gia rises from the dead, and hell freezes over. Oh, and there is a version of events where you didn't kidnap your niece and put her in the hands of our enemy. For now, however, let's just hope your little friendship with Lucien doesn't disrupt our mission."

   As Klaus gaped in shock at his words, Audrey withheld the strong urge to snicker, clearing her throat as she kept a straight face. "I'll go make sure Mira is settled with Freya before we go." She mused, leaving the two brothers alone in silence as she walked out of the room.