XXXV - THEY ALL ASKED FOR YOU

   Some time passed after the wedding, and Elijah and Audrey had moved into an apartment in the Algiers. The loft was the perfect size for them, and had another room they could prepare for when they baby was born. Though, not everything about their move had been smooth sailing, as Klaus didn't take the news well. Hayley wasn't exactly thrilled either when Audrey told her, but she was taking it a lot better than Klaus was, which was causing bickering between him and Elijah.

   "Enough already with the family squabbling!" Rebekah said in annoyance, as the four were on a call that morning. Audrey sat on the stairs, quietly eating the bowl of fruit she'd been craving, as Elijah put his suits away onto the clothing rack. "Come on, Nik! Even you can see that the situation has become awkward!"

   "There's nothing awkward about it!" Klaus refused stubbornly. "Hayley and Hope belong in the compound where they are safe. As much as I would like Elijah's help to kill Finn, if his delicate sensibilities are offended by the presence of Hayley's pack, then he and Audrey are welcome to continue sulking across the river."

   Audrey rolled her eyes at his words. "It's like everything we said to you just went in one ear and out the other."

   "And yet another thing." Klaus continued, ignoring her words. "The compound is where Audrey belongs, where she'd be safe, under the protection of the pack as well!"

   Elijah made a face of annoyance. "As I have explained to you repeatedly, brother, my presence here in Algiers is purely to assemble allies to protect both our children. And given all the enemies we have afoot in the form of wayward siblings and ancient, maniacal aunt Dahlias, I would think that you would applaud my efforts."

   "Well, if it's my applause you seek, you shouldn't have dashed off in a bloody huff!" Klaus shot back mockingly.

   Rebekah let out a deep sigh. "Alright, can you two at least try and stay focused on what's best for the children's safety?"

   Elijah smiled in disbelief. "I would like nothing more!"

   "I am doing exactly that!" Klaus said firmly.

   "See? Your on the same team." Rebekah spoke calmly, and Audrey smiled as she heard the patronizing tone in her voice. "Conflict solved, crisis averted."

   Klaus simply huffed again and hung up, and Rebekah just scoffed and hung up herself, the phone going dead on the couple. "Well, that went well." Audrey mused, earning a snicker from Elijah as he sent her a look. "What? It did." She said innocently. "He didn't resort to threats or violence."

   "Oh, yes, how foolish of me." He nodded, as he helped her to her feet. "My brother has clearly became the epitome of mature man."

   Audrey's grin grew, leaning in and pecking his lips softly. "Clearly." She mumbled as she slowly pulled away. "I going to go shower." She raised a brow at him. "Coming?"