XXXVIII - NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES

   "Ah, ah, ah." Elijah tutted as he walked into the kitchen that morning, removing the knife from Audrey's hand. The Gilbert girl sighed, giving him an unimpressed look as he gently moved her to the side, taking over chopping up the pieces of fruit she was cutting. "My love, you were holding it by the blade." He defended.

   "I was not." She pouted, to which he gave her a look of his own. Audrey kept her lips flat for a moment, before she slowly felt herself crack under his graze. "Okay, it touched it for a second at most!" She gave in, and Elijah chuckled in amusement, shaking his head at her. 

   "Go. Sit." He ordered, pecking her lips which instantly made her pout disappear. "I'll bring it through to you."

   "I'm pregnant, not incapable." She mumbled against his lips.

   "You're nine months pregnant, and while still very capable, I am allowed to look after you." He shot back simply, pecking her lips once more before he pulled away. "Go get comfortable."

   Knowing there was no point in arguing, Audrey shook her head with a smile smile, before making her way into the living room. Before she could sit down, her eyes snapped to the door as she heard a knock, Elijah raising a brow at her. "Probably Gia." She shrugged, as she made her way to answer it. 

   Neither of them would be surprised if it was Gia. Once they got word Freya had safely taken care of Eva Sinclair, giving Rebekah full control of her new body back, Gia had escorted Audrey the whole way home. Audrey insisted she would have been fine, but Gia wasn't taking no for an answer, and she didn't leave the loft until Elijah got back. In all honesty, Elijah was rather grateful that she had, as it gave him peace at mind knowing she wasn't alone. Not only was the threat of Dahlia looming over their heads, Audrey could go into labor at any moment, and it was a fear of his that he wouldn't be there for it. 

   With everything going on, he knew there was a good chance it could happen while he was taking care of another issue, and he didn't want her to be alone when it happened.

   Opening the door, Audrey was met with the mailman, who held a box out to her. "I need a signature, please."

   "Of course." She nodded, taking the clipboard to sign where he pointed. "I wonder what she's ordered this time." Audrey mumbled as she scribbled down her signature, knowing full well it was likely another baby gift from Caroline. 

   "And here." He pointed to another area of the paper.

   Audrey nodded and went to do as told, but her hand stopped as her eyes scanned the page. A promise made is a debt to be paid. A promise made is a debt to be paid. A promise made is a debt to be paid. The same line was wrote over and over again, making a lump form in the back of her throat. 

   "Elijah--" Audrey completely stopped as the mailman's hand gripped her wrist, the clipboard and pen clattering to the ground. 

   The mailman's eyes turned entirely white as he stared at her, his face blank and expressionless. "I'm only here for what is mine." He spoke in a monotone voice. "A promise made is a debt to be paid. I intend to collect."