XLIV - YOU HUNG THE MOON

   Once both of the girls were settled in their nurseries for the night, Audrey checked her phone for updates from Elijah on what was going on. He'd been searching the bayou since Audrey and the girls left, had came across the bodies of many dead wolves, but there had so far been no sign of Hayley anywhere. Eventually, he came across a injured Jackson, who was also scouring the bayou desperately for any sign of his wife. All three of them knew the truth, Hayley would fight like hell not to miss the small amount of time she got with Hope each month, so her not showing up had to be a bad sign. 

   Something had happened, and they just hoped it wasn't what they all thought it was. Soon enough, Elijah arrived back with Jackson, both of them wanting to talk to Klaus. The Gilbert girl directed them toward the the study, where Klaus stood outside on the balcony, a drink in his hand.

   "I thought I smelled swamp." He commented, turning to face the furious glares all three were giving him. 

   "What'd you do with Hayley?" Jackson demanded.

   Elijah gave his brother a look. "Tell me what you know."

   "Has Jackson misplaced his bride?" Klaus raised a brow, and gave a careless shrug. "Come to think about it, I did read that global warming was affecting migration patterns. Try Georgia!"

   The Kenner man scowled at him angrily. "I just left the bodies of people I care about to rot in the woods because you left them defenseless against poachers!" Klaus gave an empty smile at his words. "Like Kingmaker Land Development. Does that ring a bell?" Jackson continued to push, and Klaus's smile fell entirely at that. "Yeah, the CEO is Lucien Castle. Elijah tells me you two go way back."

   "So I will ask you once again--" Elijah carried on. "What do you know?"

   "As it happens, I did just come back from a romp with our good friend Lucien." He points at his brother. "You can find him in the penthouse of that gaudy new construction on Canal. And while you two are catching up, be sure to ask him about the prophetic vision he showed me of our family's spectacular downfall. You could use a good laugh."

   Audrey blinked at his words. "What are you going on about?"

   "Oh, I'm sure he'll tell you both all about it." Klaus mused, sipping his drink. "Like I said, it is rather hilarious."

   Elijah sighed in annoyance and looked at Jackson. "You stay here. Niklaus and I will handle this."

   "Actually, as long as Hayley's prowling about on two legs and unaccounted for, I'm staying with my daughter." Klaus walks toward Jackson with a suspicious look. "And, should I discover that this is yet another cock-eyed scheme for Hayley and you to abscond with her, the paltry remains of your beloved wolf pack will be sniffing at your entrails come morning."

   Audrey scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief as he began to walk away. "You're unbelievable."

   However, before he could get far, Elijah sped in his way and blocked his path. "This doesn't frighten you, brother. But, one day, your daughter will know exactly the kind of man that her father is." His smile falls, as he looks at his younger brother with a serious expression. "If anything should happen to Hayley, you mark my words-- no one will have to take Hope from you. She will, without question, leave you of her own accord."