XLVIII - BEAUTIFUL MISTAKE

   "Hello there, pretty girl."

   Mira cooed toward her aunt, giving a bubbly smile as Freya reached out to take her. Freya kissed her niece on the forehead as she held her, making Audrey smile at the pair. Once the celebrations were done at the cemetery, Audrey went to pick up Mira from Mary's, so the pair could make their way home for the night. Freya met them at the entrance to the carriage way, only just getting home from her day spent at the bell tower, where she'd set up an astral projection meeting with Rebekah so they could catch up. 

   "How was Rebekah?" Audrey asked, as the pair made their way into the compound.

   "She sends her love." Freya smiled, pulling her eyes off Mira to look at Audrey. "She's meeting with a witch that might have what she's looking for."

   Audrey's smile grew at that. "You mean...?"

   "Mhm." Freya hummed in confirmation. "The family may be whole again very soon."

   "That's--" Audrey didn't finish her sentence, the two women stopping in their tracks as they saw the state of the courtyard. 

   It was in complete ruin, chairs and tables overturned and broken, the chandelier in a broken heap on the ground, and a pool of blood underneath it. A broken piece of chair leg laid on the ground, completely soaked in blood laid by an overturned footstool. Audrey and Freya looked around in worry in concern, until they saw the door to the dining room open, the Gilbert vampire picking up on breathing coming from the room. Inside, Klaus and Elijah sat at the table, wearing the tattered and bloody remains of their clothes. 

   Freya scowled in annoyance, keeping Mira's eyes covered as she stormed toward the dining room, Audrey following her with a flat look. The two brothers didn't say anything as they walked in, Klaus continuing to drain some of his blood into a glass, as Elijah fiddled mindlessly with the remains of his tie. 

   "You were left alone for one day." Audrey pinched the bridge of her nose.

   "May I ask what happened?" Freya raised a brow, unimpressed.

   Despite their bloody and tattered state, Mira still cooed brightly at the sight of her father, making a smile twitch onto his lips as he looked back at her. Klaus smirked. "We had a little chat about the past."

   "I informed Niklaus I am not his enemy." Elijah carried on. "And, though they entered the city under the guise of peace, Tristan and Lucien, in truth, are allied against us. A fact that required a little bit of...gentle persuasion..."

   "And I so I reminded our brother, who angered them in the first place..." Klaus continued on.

   Freya looked between them in annoyance. "And, after all this civil discourse, what understanding did you come to?"

"That we expose and destroy our first sired." Elijah stated seriously.

   A smile twitching on his lips, Klaus slide the glass of blood across the table to Elijah, before reaching for a glass of bourbon. "Couldn't agree more." He nodded. "You see, gentlemen know when to call a truce and turn our fury in a more pertinent direction."