XIV - LE GRAND GUIGNOL

   Tilting her head back, Audrey took a deep breath and closed her eyes, focusing on the feeling of the water washing over her body. While Elijah saw to Klaus, he insisted that she take a moment to compose herself, despite how much she didn't want to leave his side. He promised her he wouldn't be long, so she reluctantly agreed, hoping a shower and change of clothes would help her feel more herself. Yet as she closed her eyes, she felt that familiar burning sensation building up inside of her lungs, and she was quick to snap her eyes open. Swallowing hard, she turned off the water and wrapped herself in a towel, making her way into their bedroom. 

   Whatever Celeste had done wasn't going away, and she didn't know how to make it. Pushing the thoughts to the back of her mind, she dug out some clean clothes and put them on, roughly drying her hair before tying it up out of her way. 

   "Camille is going to watch over Niklaus." Elijah began as he walked in. "Which is gives us time to track down Hayley, and it gives Rebekah and Marcel time to get far away from here."

   Audrey rubbed her face with a nod. "Where do we start?"

   "Monique Deveraux." He told her. "It's time we end this witch business once and for all, before Celeste tries to make a final move against us. I think the Deveraux girl will be helpful in doing just that."

   "Alright." Audrey agreed. "Then I guess we're going to the cemetery."

   "In a moment." He said as he walked closer to her, gently stroking his thumb across her cheek. "How do you feel?"

   "Elijah, I'm fine." Audrey assured, pulling on a tight lipped smile. "Really."

   "My love, one thing about us is that we don't lie to one another. Now, I can wait all day for you to tell me, and let myself assume the worst until it happens." He told her simply, making her sigh. "Or you can tell me, and I can help you find a way to fix whatever it is."

   "She was in my head." Audrey admitted after a moment, her eyes falling to the floor. "She was making relive some memories. Ones that she thought would make me see how terrible you and your family are. The times Klaus snapped my neck, Mikael stabbing me at homecoming, getting hit by an arrow in the bayou, dagger pain..." She swallowed hard. "The night my parents car went off Wickery Bridge, and I--"

   Elijah's eyes widened in horror, cupping her face in her hands. "You felt all of that?"

   "On repeat." Her voice cracked. "Until you broke the cycle, but now every time I close my eyes, I can feel it starting all over again."

   "Audrey, I need you to listen to me." He said in a firm voice, looking her in the eyes. "I give you my word, I will find a way to fix this. You will not be forced to deal with this for much longer, okay?" The Gilbert girl just gave a small nod, tears pooling in the corner of her eyes, making his face fall sadly. Elijah pulled her into his arms, and Audrey broke in that moment, crying into his chest as she held onto him. His hand rubbed her back soothingly, pressing a kiss on the top of her head. "I am not going to let her hurt you anymore."