XLVI - A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE

   "Who's that?" Audrey whispered in Mira's ear, and she held her daughter in her arms, pointing forward. "Is that daddy?"

   Mira instantly cooed, her small eyes widening as she caught sight of her father, who was working out using one of the punching bags. Elijah had left early that morning, making the use the new gym inside St. Anne's to take out his frustrations of everything going on. Noticing the two, Elijah smiled as he stopped kicking at the bag, using a towel to wipe his face as he walked over to them. 

   "And what are you two doing here?" He raised a brow, taking Mira as she reached her hands out to him. "Hi sweetheart." The little girl cooed happily, making his smile grow as she touched his cheek with her hand, taking it and gently kissing it multiple times. 

   Audrey smiled herself as she watched them, before she pulled a card from her pocket and held it up. "This came." She told him, before clearing her throat and looking at what it said. "You are cordially invited to an evening of exquisite excess. The Davilla Estate, 7041 St.Charles Avenue. Midnight. I do hope you can come, old chum. Signed, Tristan."

   A frown appeared as he took the card, reading what was on it. "Tristan" He mumbled, as he read through the details.

   "Mhm." Audrey hummed with a nod, as she gently took Mira from him. Mira comfortably rested her head against her mothers shoulder, her hand gripping onto small clumps of her shirt as she closed her eyes. "Hayley said she and Jackson will watch Mira for us."

   "Good. It's probably best we attend." He looked up at her thoughtfully. "I feel there's more behind this then meets the eye."

   "Wouldn't surprise me." She made a face. "Something about Tristan didn't sit right the other day."

   "No, I know the feeling." He nodded in agreement, before he let his smile reappear, kissing her forehead. "That can be worried about tonight. Right now, however," He began, glancing at Mira who was falling asleep against her mother. "I'd rather focus my attention on my two favorite people in the world."

   "I like the sound of that." Audrey whispered, kissing him softly.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Once Mira was dropped off at Hayley and Jackson's apartment, easily settled into the playpen beside her cousin, Audrey and Elijah focused on the evening ahead of them. Though, not having Mira with them constantly was taking some getting used to, as she'd always been with one or both of them over the last few months. Even when Freya would watch her and Hope, one of them was usually very close by or back within an hour of being gone. Though they both knew she was in good hands, it didn't stop them from missing their daughter.  Once they were both ready, the couple made their way to the Davilla estate, where the party was already in full swing. 

   All the guests were in gowns and suits, accompanied by beautiful masquerade masks. There was burlesque dancers performing, all of them dressed in 1920's flapper dresses, and an array of other performers scattered around, all the servers dressed smartly and in white masks. The paused in the doorway as they took it all in, and it didn't take long for most of the eyes in the ballroom to land on them.