Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18

After your first, terrible, day at Neoform's agency, you were tempted not to show up again. Turns out a bystander had videoed your breakdown at Neoform. The video is all over the internet, and Mina called you that night to get all of the juicy details out of you about what happened. Now, every time you begrudgingly go on patrols with Neoform, bystanders try to take pictures and videos of you and talk to you.

A news van even followed you once. They slid open the side door and shouted at you as they drove slowly on the road next to you. The camera guy kept shoving the camera in your face, only for you to shove it away again and again with a glare.

The worst part is, you're being called out as the villain. Instead of Neoform being condemned for not doing his job, you are in trouble for lashing out at him in public. And, he's always happy to play the victim every time a camera pops up.

You stomp down the dark streets along with the purple-haired man, listening for any sign of distress. It's only your third day with him and you want nothing more than to kick him in the no-no area and make a run for it. He's walking behind you with his hands behind his head as he whistles merrily. Every high-pitched note is torture to your ears, shoulders tensing and fists clenching more and more with each squeal. Even if there are any villains around, they all know to avoid your area so they won't get caught. He is too damn loud!

A low growl escapes your throat as you whip around and send a deadly glare at the older male. His whistles stop at the sight of glowing red eyes.

But not yours.

His face pales as his gaze moves from you to the monster towering behind you.

"Intern, take a step towards me. Slowly," Neoform tells you in a rushed whisper, placing his hands out steadily as his gaze never leaves the air behind you.

Now sensing the danger, you slowly turn around. You're met with the sight of a towering Nomu, similar to the one in the picture Toshinori showed you. Its brain is peaking out of its bird-like head near its dead eyes. Before you can react, the thing swings a fist at you, sending you flying into the nearest building's window.

"Intern!"

The Nomu steps into the abandoned building where you struggle to regain your thoughts, the powerful blow disorienting you. The Nomu scatters broken glass with its feet, not flinching as shards dig into its flesh. It takes several steps towards you just as you stand up, blood dripping down your forehead.

The Nomu swings its fist again. You bring your arms up defensively in front of your face even though you're intangible. But instead of the familiar sensation of an object phasing through you, you hear the Nomu's fist make an impact with something else.

You peek one eye open at a time, seeing a glowing, gold barrier between you and the bird brain. Neoform stands in the newly made doorway, hands up as he blocks you from the Nomu's attack. But, the Nomu only has to punch the barrier one more time before it shatters and disappears. Neoform's invincible force field is destroyed by only two punches.

"(Y/nnn)," The hulking creature groans, its low voice sending shivers down both of your spines. These things can't speak according to Toshinori, so why is this one able to?

Despite being in your intangible form, the Nomu grabs you by the throat, causing you to sputter. Its meaty hand grips your neck, cutting off your air supply and making it feel like your neck is about to be crushed. If you don't get loose soon, this thing will crack your spine.

You lose control of your quirk, turning completely tangible again, the bird's grip on your throat tightening in response. It groans out your name again as Neoform screams for you to use your quirk. With what strength you can muster from the lack of air, you look over at your mentor. Realization flashes in his eyes as he understands you can't use your quirk.