Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44

You watch with an unwavering gaze silently, head hanging as you listen to the cries and shouts of your close friends. The raw pain in his voice tears at your heartstrings, but you can't move, your feet feeling like cement blocks molded to the ground as your shoulders shake like a leaf in the breeze.

Bakugo and Midoriya stand in the middle of a road in one of the fake cities used for training. You got word from Aizawa that two students left the dorms, the teacher being too lazy to deal with it himself told you to take care of it. But, now that you're here, hearing Bakugo spill out all of the stress he's putting himself through to Midoriya, you can't help but listen silently.

Your eyes sting as you realize how much pain he's in. How much blame Bakugo is still holding on to. You thought you were helping, all those times he came to you and let you hold him. And you want to run out there and comfort him now, but you know he needs this. To let out his raging emotions.

You'll only step in if things get too out of hand.

Your head drops to stare at the sidewalk as Bakugo's voice cracks and he shouts to Midoriya, trying to find someone who can understand him in his enemy. His rival.

"We are going to fight," Bakugo utters, voice low and demanding as he points directly at the green-haired male, "And you're going to show me that you've made that shared power your own. And then, I'll know my way of looking up to All Might has been wrong all these years."

Midoriya tries to step forward, to stop him, but Bakugo stops him with a fierce look, the boy retracting his outstretched hand. You flinch at the sight, noticing Bakugo's shoulders are shaking with each passing second. In anticipation or self-loathing, you aren't sure.

"All Might gave you that quirk, didn't he?" Bakugo's voice drops, your ears straining to make out what he's saying now. But, Midoriya's face pales, fists clenching at his sides as Bakugo continues.

You're just about to step in at the declaration, feeling the need to explain everything to him, but a hand grabs your elbow from behind. You whip around to see Toshinori with a similar, heartbroken expression to yours.

"Let young Midoriya handle this. We'll step in when things go too far," Toshinori whispers, holding onto your shoulders as you turn back to the scene on the street.

Bakugo's hands are out, sparks flickering from his open palms as his gaze slowly turns up to Midoriya. The next second, he lunges forward and blasts an explosion at Midoriya who barely jumps back in time.

"Kacchan! We don't have to fight!"

"Shut up Deku! Show me how far you've come with that 'shared power' of yours!" Bakugo screams, lunging again and letting out an even bigger blast. Midoriya doesn't give in, trying to find a peaceful way of settling things.

"Kacchan! We can't be doing this, we're going to get in trouble-"

"Shut up! You think too much!" Bakugo shouts, a crazed look appears in his eyes as he shoots himself forward, "Come at me with everything you've got!"

Midoriya only dodges, refusing to fight the blond. Swipe after swipe and only small scrapes reach Midoriya as he runs. The smoke clears as they back to opposite sides of the street, Bakugo in a ready position to attack.

"I said hold on! Do we really have to fight?!" Midoriya cries out.

You stumble back, meeting the wall of the alley and crossing your arms over your chest to make yourself smaller. Toshinori's presence next to you keeps you grounded as you continue to watch. Bakugo sparks his hands as a response, not speaking to Midoriya.

"It doesn't mean you were wrong about anything! Nobody ever said that your way of looking up to him was wrong!-"

A large blast interrupts him, the loud bang and smoke fill your senses. Midoriya's figure is hidden by the dark clouds, but you can hear him pleading for Bakugo to stop and listen to him.