fiftieth chapter

Giselle packed up the remaining items she had on her desk into her beige tote bag, before sighing to herself tiredly. The talent show was happening soon and everyone at the community service centre was occupied in organising the entire event.

It was exhausting and boring to sit in meetings all afternoon, but luckily Rowley was around to make things feel lighter for Giselle.

"See you next week, Gi!" Ramona, the chairperson of the committee, called out to her as she made her way out of the building.

Giselle flashed her a smile and a quick wave as she left her presence. The sky was a little gloomy today, there were more clouds than usual and it seemed like it would rain soon.

"Just great," giselle murmured to herself, when she realised she'd have to walk home to drizzling rain.

There was no doubt she'd be incredibly exhausted by the time she got home and it killed her that once again, she forgot to wear the appropriate attire for the weather.

As she began to make her way home, the muffled sound of music distracted her from her thoughts and by the time giselle looked up, the familiar loaded diper van was all she could see.

Rodrick greeted her with a goofy grin and his usual eyeliner covered eyes, as he rolled his window down and the sound of Mr. Bright side by the Killers was more than evident to her hearing.

"Need a ride?" He chuckled, reaching over to the passenger seat and unlocking the door for the girl.

Leave it to Rodrick Heffley to have perfect timing.

"What the hell are you doing nearby? I thought you had band practice?" Giselle chuckled in disbelief as she entered the van.

"You really think I was gonna let you walk home in the rain?" He pointed out, as he started to drive away from the community service center. "Also, practice ended early today. Ben and Zara have some date later on tonight."

She felt her cheeks heat up as she looked down timidly. "Ohh I see, well thank you for being considerate." She grinned.

"Always." He replied. "Also, I'm taking you somewhere."

Giselle gave him a look and he laughed at her reaction. "Oh come on, it's gonna be great."

"I'm a little worried." She teased, earning a playful eye roll from Rodrick.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

The moment Rodrick had parked by the town square, Giselle gave him another look of confusion which he responded with usual cheeky grins and a quick wink. The town square was particularly busy today, not even the dull weather was stopping the residents of Plainview from finishing up their errands.

Giselle stepped out of van, following Rodrick who was already prepped with a tiny yellow umbrella by the sidewalk. She chuckled knowing very well, he was proud of finally looking responsible in her eyes.

"I'm impressed heffley," she smiled, as they both began to walk down the sidewalk.

"That's the whole point, Aoki." He replied. "I'm trying to impress you."

"Wow, where is all this coming from?" Giselle chuckled, fiddling with the strap of her tote bag.

Rodrick paused, his cheeks heating up. Did he weird her out? "I'm sorry was that too much?" He panicked.

Giselle immediately shook her head, starting to feel as if she made Rodrick think she was bothered. "No! I was just— uh, you know it's fine." She replied almost instantly.

"Okay phew," he sighed in relief, his usual bright smile finding its way back onto his face.

He was cute, Giselle thought to herself.

They continued to stroll down the sidewalk of the town square, admiring the view despite the gloomy weather. It was funny, Giselle thought. How Rodrick Heffley, everyone's favourite emo kid of Plainview loved to just stroll around the town square.

He was unpredictable and Giselle loved that about him.

"Here's our final stop m'aam." He finally spoke up, motioning towards a shop. It was Robinson's photo palace. Giselle always found that name odd but it was the best place to develop pictures in town.

"Robinsons?" She questioned, still a little confused.

Rodrick smiled, "you're forgetful huh?"

"Are you trying to ridicule me, Heffley?" Giselle teased. "I would remember if I had to be her—" she stopped herself when she realised that perhaps Rodrick was right after all.

She did have an appointment to pick up her photos from her latest shoot with Zara. How could she have forgotten so easily? "Shit." She let out, closing her eyes in embarrassment.

"Oh what would you do without me?" Rodrick smirked triumphantly.

Giselle glared at him playfully, smacking his shoulder in response. "Shushhhh."

Rodrick ruffled her head, wrapping his arm around her shoulder. "Heffley 1, Aoki 0." He laughed.

••••••••••••••••••••••

The two teenagers entered the photo shop, bright smiles and cheerful laughter emitting off them as they walked in. Giselle was trying her best to ignore Rodrick's constant taunts, but him being the petty person he was wouldn't let her hear the end of it.

"Giselle?" A voice spoke up, interrupting their moment.

Giselle looked up, feeling absolutely mortified once she realised who was standing right in front of her. Rodrick noticed the way the girl tensed up at the sight of none other than Marcus Baker.

He stood slyly by the counter, checking them both up and down. He looked a little surprised to see Giselle, considering the last time he saw her she was running out of the movie theatre after finding out his devious plan.

But there was no sign of remorse in his face and it made Giselle's anger boil inside her veins. Rodrick stood next to the girl, his first instinct was holding onto her hand for comfort to reassure her that he was right by her side.

"Hi," she responded, bluntly not in her usual cheery tone.

"I didn't expect to see you," he chuckled. "And with Heffley of all people."

"Hi Rodrick," he said, nodding towards the boy next to her."

"Marcus," Rodrick responded, a blank expression on his face.

"What is this? You two going out now?" He laughed.

"We're friends," Rodrick replied. "And since when do you care? We don't even talk at school."

Marcus chuckled to himself, shrugging his shoulders. "Hey man, I don't care. Just make sure she doesn't run out on you too." He smirked, before walking out of Robinson's.

Giselle shook her head, feeling her cheeks go red and her pulse rise rapidly. She hated him and she hated how he thinks he can go around acting like he was the most perfect person in town. When in reality, he was a self absorbed prick.

"Hey," Rodrick said, his solemn tone pervading in her ears. "Don't listen to him, alright? You're fucking great and he's just trying to get to you." He reassured her, putting a strand of her hair behind her ear.

Giselle turned towards Rodrick,nodding her head slowly and showing him a small smile.

She wasn't going to let Marcus get into her head anymore.

____________________________

Hey everyone! Here's the new chapter!
I hope you guys enjoy!
Also I'm sorry but my phone is acting up and started capitalising shit which isn't what I used to do. I was really lazy to change it so bare with me

How was your Christmas?